Foods that cheer you up when you can not afford much food

thesweetthings1

I posted this in a response to a comment on another subreddit but the OP was a bot I guess and their post was removed. I figured this is an important enough lift to share with people to also post it here in its own topic. Anyway here is my list and I look forward to seeing what others come up with.

I know this is not strictly speaking a recipe subreddit but since food is such a large part of our budget and greatly affects out morale I figured this was worth while.

-Grits with sausage and gravy and hashbrowns.

-Grilled Cheese with tomato and bacon with tomato soup. Save money on the bacon by buying end pieces.

-Creamy Chicken Ramen with Goya Sazon in it and mixed veggies

-Ramen with banana peppers and a little bit of the juice from the banana pepper jar

-Chicken Ramen with peanut butter and ground red pepper and a bit of hot sauce. This has to be made soupy so the peanut butter mixes in to create a heart broth.

-Scrapple Sandwich

-Fried Bologna Sandwich

-Cream Chip Beef on toast

-Stewed Tomato on Toast

-Peanut butter fluff and banana sandwich

-Lentil soup (with sausage if I can afford it). Add peanut butter to make the broth hearty

-Butter Beans mashed with butter (tastes like a more flavorful mashed potato).

My top favorite of all time that I could eat any way is so good I will post a recipe and a video explaining how to make it:

Arroz Con Gandules
  • 4 tablespoons oil (vegetable or canola)
  • 4 tablespoons sofrito
  • 1 15 ounce can gandules (pigeon peas)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons adobo seasoning (not the same as Filipino adobo)
  • 1 packet sazon
  • 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
  • 3 cups long grain rice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup pitted olives (green or black work, right now I prefer green)
  • 4 cups water

She mentions a recipe she has for Sofrito and it might be good but I don't know. I haven't tried her recipe but in most places you can by Goya Sofrito.

All of the ingredients I thought people might not be familiar with in this recipe I gave Walmart links for reference.