Finally Worthless...Started ~120k in debt a little over 2 years ago

dancinglamb

Yes this is a brag cause I hit a milestone. I don't care. I was in a pretty miserable spot 3 years ago. and it feels good to be on level ground.

•100k student loans

•13k car note

•10k Pilots License on 0% interest credit card

After being laid off during covid 6 months into my first job after graduating, I finally settled into a good stable job (1.5 years later layoff) in a good area. Got to work immediately on my finances and with the help of bartending, I was able to knock out some high interest loans and CC debt while also save and hit yearly retirement goals.

• contributed 13k in a Roth

• saved 10k in an E-Fund

• contributed 10k to an HSA

• contributed 30k to company 401k

Most importantly, I wasn't withering away for 2 years. Had plenty of expensive date nights, took two vacations with another big one planned. I just worked essentially every weekend.

I still have:

•67k Student Loan (@3%)

•5k Car Note (@2.9%)

Onwards and Upwards, next stop: not needing to have a 2nd job in the first place.

EDIT: Including Salary and other requested useful information

•Salary: 72k -> 90k, promotions

•6% 401k cont with 6% match

•Side income: ~15k per year from bartending per year

•Method of saving: Excel spreadsheets. Just did income - expenses for the month and applied money left over either to debt or savings

@dancinglamb I love this attitude. Brag on. Instead of just complaining that your first job isn’t enough to pay down your debt, you took a second job, while still having fun. Exactly what I did to get debt free once I graduated.

Kudos to you!!!

@dancinglamb Congrats! I too recently became worthless, 401k outgrew student loan debt (actively paying down). It's a boring journey but hoping the back half feels like there's more progress.

@dancinglamb Thanks! I also make 90k. But I’m the director of a department at a non profit. I don’t have that much debt, but it’s interesting to see how quickly you could get rid of yours with the same salary trajectory. I must be an expert in lifestyle creep

@caed Keep in mind I supplemented this income with Bartending. But I also had around $1000/month in debt payments so I guess it evens out to your position.

@caed You should also note living expenses. OP did a fantastic job, not knocking him at all. But rent or mortgage can make 90k feel different as well.

@bubba5657 Agree. Just transferred over to credit karma and it’s horrible. It won’t recognize my Priceline card and only shows the credit report balance on my net worth!

@dancinglamb Never heard of copilot but I'm still looking for an alternative to mint. Do you recommend it? I'm also not using it to budget. I just want all of my spending across my bank accounts/CC's tracked and an honest attempt at automatically categorizing transactions. Is copilot free? I've been considering Monarch but it's $100/yr

@pja Copilot is around the same per year unfortunately, but the UI/UX is very good and addicting. Give it a free trial run and see what I mean.