Buying a car?

@mellie I said where i am. I’m well aware of the car market, my partner and I just went through the car buying process. It’s a fact that $15,000 doesn’t get you very much car in 2024. Maybe it gets you more in your area, who knows!

There literally is a dealership next to me where they have all of two cars under $15,000. One is a very unreliable brand and the other has 120,000 miles. There’s another dealership down the street with a few more. Not a single one under 100,000 miles. The Toyota dealership? You’re looking to spend $27,000 If you want under six figure mileage.

Do you really blame someone for not wanting to buy a car with high mileage? Sure, a reasonably maintained vehicle can go for far if it’s been taken care of but do you really trust the general adult population to maintain their vehicles? I don’t. It’s also a fact that once vehicles hit 100,000 they generally require more frequent and more expensive work.

This guy makes $158,000 a year, has $112,000 in savings and no debt. I think he can afford to spend a teeny bit more for a car under 100K miles.

@miyme Used js barely cheaper anymore. We looked at a 2021 Crosstrek premium with 11,000 miles vs a 2024 Crosstrek Sport and it was $2,000 cheaper for the 2021. The warrenty alone made it worth buying new.

@fullmoon Just get an Accord or Camry. They both feel like luxury, are affordable, and highly reliable with good resale value. You really cannot go wrong with either one.

@childofgod6 Accords and Camrys have long been a staple of the middle class. Somewhere along the line, people’s standards changed and now suddenly those aren’t good enough, it doesn’t make sense.

@fullmoon OK. How big of an SUV? Something like a RAV 4 or CRV are the best sellers for both brands and both excellent values. The incentives are based on the quarter. The 1st Quarter ends tomorrow (the 30th) and new incentives will be launched. What sucks is, interest rates are high across the board generally, especially for RAV4 and CRV. You usually will be stuck either getting the great interest rate or the rebates. Considering your savings, you could drop straight cash and get a massive discount out the door well under $50K. Of course, these are smaller SUVs. You could upgrade to a Highlander or Pilot for closer to $50K.

@childofgod6 Thing I am hesitant about is that I live in a smaller community. For repair work it seems like it would be cheaper for fords/chevy,dodge work. Not many people specialize in working on those type of vehicles