Finally Worthless...Started ~120k in debt a little over 2 years ago

@dancinglamb Okay this is relatable. I still have six figures in student loans and I’m able to pay more than the minimum payment, but I’ve also been able to contribute a good amount to my 401K and I’m looking forward to when I have more in retirement than my loans.

@resjudicata Oh gotcha, it's definitely a career option for me if I want to transition but that comes with more debt. If I start to hate Engineering I'll probably try to make the change.

@dancinglamb More asking about it as a career. I’ve got a decent career now (low 6 figures) but I’ve pretty much topped out at what I can make in this field, and have recently been thinking about a change. I saw another post about a pilot and they were making $250k as a relatively new pilot.

@imingtown Gotcha. Keep in mind the training to become that "relatively new pilot" costs almost as much as a Bachelors. You need your Private License(fly for fun), your Instrument Rating(fly thru clouds), your Commercial Rating(fly for hire), Multi-Engine cert (self explanatory) and finally your Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (1500 hours of flying time).

Pilots once they get to this level get paid exceptionally well like you suggested. But it's a lot of effort to get there.

The best suggestion is always to keep your cozy 100k job and fly on the side to get your ratings. Don't quit and do an accelerated course thru loans unless you have a ton of savings. Most Pilots without the ATP cert make shit money.

@dancinglamb aero engr here.. been considering getting my private license. Only small problem, height scare me a little lmfao but not that much. I've flown in a few cessnas and those tiny planes terrify me due to me knowing how dangerous they can be

@jessica23 While heights don't scare me, I'm with you on small planes being a little nerve-racking. But it's so much fun. You are mostly in control of your own destiny up there. As an engineer, it's fun to physically see some basic aerospace principles in practice.

Plus, you are part of a unique club of humans in history to pilot an aircraft.

@flyingfoamies Some major airlines are on hiring sprees and others recently said they don't plan on hiring anyone this year. Overall, once you have the necessary hours you will find a job.

You don't have to quit your job and go balls to the wall though (although some do lol). Work your cozy job and have it finance your training. Then, if you get to the point of having all your certs and enough hours, you can comfortably leave your job to go fly professionally.

Me personally, I'll probably just stop at my Instrument Rating and fly on the side for fun. But it is nice having somewhat of a foot in the door in another career.