Balik Pinas or relocate to first world with average income

@cindylmarvin Hi may I ask what country are you living in? Does it have a path to citizenship? What are your long term plans?
  • maybe you want a stronger passport for better travel options?
  • maybe you pay a higher tax rate but you are assured that you get back what you're paying for through government safety nets. You might lose your job tomorrow but you know that the government can provide you with some form of social welfare benefits like free education, allowances etc.
  • maybe your kids' public school education is comparable to top PH schools with 6-digit tuition fees?
  • yes let's say you can buy yourself a house in one of the affluent Subdivisions out there. But the thing is--you still need to go outside of those gates, and experience the same fear. The negatives you've mentioned require social upheaval, and 500k monthly might not be enough to cover you for that. Isang kamote rider ang kailangang bumunggo sa SUV mo and your life might drastically change.
I hope it doesn't sound like I don't have faith in our country any longer.

@angi12 Yes there is a path to citizenship either here or to the other first world countries I would prefer. And yes totally agree with you with stronger passport, tax benefits and kids education. Mga bagay na mas madali mappreciate kapag naexperience or aware ka first hand outside PH. Same feeling sa Pinas, nagbabakasakali lang baka may nmmiss out akong positive point ng PH. Salamat po!

@cindylmarvin Imo, kng magsstay ka sa PH, sa province ka tumira. Yung ideal so far sa mga napuntahan ko would be Palawan. What I suggest na gawin mo would be to stay in PH and be the ideal neighbor pra maging role model sa next generation. This is really important if yung kids mo would prefer staying here in the future. It would be best to cultivate yung magandang mindset and community pra maganda maging experience nila in the future. Ganun so far ginagawa namin dito sa neighborhood namin. However, if you want your kids to live abroad for good, then it would be best to let go of everything na lang na meron sa PH except for dun sa mga lote nyo pra may tutuluyan pag mag bakasyon. I have the same sentiments sa current state ng PH. I just don't want to leave ung mga parents namin ng partner ko.

@cindylmarvin Hi OP, with your income, I would choose to stay in the Philippines and have my children study in a top tier school here.

Schooling:

Top tier schools in the country offer cultural exchanges during their summer periods where your children can go abroad supervised with their classmates to learn about different cultures and being disciplined / independent. My friends who are upper class also have gone thru exchanges during the college days and remarked how competitive our education system (top tier local school) is versus European undergrad programs. Yung friends ko na mababa score sa Pilipinas, napakataas ng score abroad without even trying so much.

Environment:

With your income, you can afford a good house in a subdivision here. (15-20 year mortgage) The people you interact in these villages come from prominent names (politics), pilots, foreign workers, lawyers, and businessmen. Security is top notch. Access to groceries and banks just 5 minute drive out.

Actually here is some good subdivisions in the south you can check. (Metro Manila too expensive)

1.) Alabang Hills

2.) Alabang Hillsborough

3.) Alabang 400

4.) Pacific Malayan

5.) BF Homes (There are many villages inside here)

- House values are around P35m

Further south, you get a good development in Nuvali (Ayala Owned).

Government:

Many people blast negative things about the government but I would like to remind everyone how far this country has come. Sa pagkain pa lang sa store, when I was a 5 year old boy, we only had a choice of Lucky Me Pancit Canton (Calamansi or Chili) or Lucky Me Soup (Beef or Chicken) in the grocery. Now, fast forward 2023, our middle glass has grown and retailers now offer some noodles from Indonesia, China, Korea, Japan etc... The mere fact that there are so much products now to be purchased locally shows our country has progressed.

To top it all, there are so much construction projects happening currently to improve the country's transport system. From airports, highways, sea ports, etc.

I follow most of the developments in these forums to see real time updates on how they are doing. Dati, wala masyado activity but now grabe, nationwide ang projects. Some airports have already come to fruition like the new airports in Bohol, Bicol, Cebu, and Palawan. Other highway projects like the extension of SLEX (until Bicol), Skyway, TPLEX (until La Union), CALAX, CTBEX, etc are ongoing to improve connectivity. Of course, everyone's favorite, rail systems are also expanding. LRT 1's Cavite extension / LRT 2's Antipolo extension / MRT 7 / North South Commuter Railway (Clark to Laguna) / Metro Manila Subway / all of which are now under construction with progress everyday. Development is also not limited to Luzon, BRT systems are being set up in Cebu. CCLEX just opened recently in Cebu to connect the Mactan Island to the City. Davao has a wide coastal road in progress. Lanao Del Norte / Misamis Oriental will have an iconic connector bridge.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forums/transport-urban-planning-and-infrastructure.585/

Sure there is corruption but; as most redditors said, sa lahat naman meron and insulating oneself is not so difficult especially if you have the good income.

You can enjoy your vacations abroad with your kids during their term break. Travel is not so difficult na rin nowadays.

@nguyentrongphuoc Solid good points! And yes I agree, we’ve made lots of progress on infrastructure for the past few years. We’re lucky enough to have our place one of the beneficiaries of this infra push. Good to hear real experiences where our students perform well on a global standard. Salamat!

@cindylmarvin Where do you plan to move?

Lately it's difficult to live as permanent resident of a different country because most countries prioritise their local labour force first.. Unless you're highly skilled in a in demand industry.