Balik Pinas or relocate to first world with average income

@cindylmarvin I see in that case, with that income, I think ph is a great option. Make sure to invest in assets like properties and equities so that your wealth in the ph becomes long term.

Whenever I make decisions, I usually start with the ‘end goal’ in mind. Since you are planning to retire in the ph then you have your answer.

@dan87 Thanks for the investment advice! Good point on the end goal. But would it make sense po ba as strategy if we stay outside PH until retirement and keep growing our global nest egg to enjoy first world country and return (me and wife) to PH to retire? I mean on the perspective of reaching this end goal.

@cindylmarvin Of course! It’s all personal preference. As long as whatever you decide is coming from the heart.

Also, you also need to ask yourself if the money you’re making abroad is even COMPARABLE to the money you’ll be making in the Ph.

Use a money comparison calculator / cost of living calculator online. I always use numbeo.

If they’re roughly 20% of each other then I’d stay

@cindylmarvin Great opportunities!

My personal preferences for each

Singapore > Australia >>>>> Canada

Singapore for its proximity to the phil, cheap flights, very low taxes, high salary

Australia for its quality of life, and big filipino community

Canada, from my preference, I would not move to because I don’t like the cold. I have experienced harsh winters and it is not for me. Also, Canada has a low median salary for its high cost of living. You’re paying US level cost of living but not US wages.

@cindylmarvin Rent or buy a condo in Rockwell Makati and live there. Mga kapit bahay mo mga naka rolce royce at iba pang exotic cars. Malapit ka sa mall na may grocery sa baba. Mga kainan kumpleto. May movie house din.

@finesubmit Well you don’t need an RR to live there. I am just saying na may mga ganun kang kapit bahay pag sa rockwell ka tumira. Hindi maiingay at skwaki ang kapit bahay mo. Kung P500k net income ni OP, kahit mag rent siya ng unit sa Joya na P150k ok lang. Yung matira pang gastos na nila ng family niya.

@cindylmarvin Expats retire here for the cost of living and exchange rate. They realized they can ignore the negatives so long as they have enough cash to swim in.

I had an option to move to Sydney since while I'm in the Philippines, I'm also earning about $5000-$6000/month as a freelance writer/editor.

Then I did some reflecting and cost comparisons and figured it's easier to just buy my way out of sticky situations here than to relocate and dent my earning ability.

However, the best advice is to move here with the intent to retire and not work. Simply being retired and swimming in money is a good position in a Westernized third world country.