AD military, TX state of residence stationed in VA- state tax issue

sammy28

Having an issue filing jointly with SAH spouse- H&R Block online service insisting we file state tax with VA, we are both legal residents of TX however. No income was made in VA, keeps throwing up errors. Suggestions on how to fix/ what the issue is?

@sammy28 I have the same issue. Just say you don’t want to file state taxes, though you should have put TX in as your state and nothing with VA since you didn’t have income there, and since TX doesn’t have them then that’s that. I’ve also had to do it where my wife had income in a different state but I didn’t and HR Block got confused so I had to manually file a return for her in that state.

@sammy28 Have you called the OneSource tax professionals? It's free and on the same site. Did you have income erroneously withheld?

@sammy28 Sounds like an issue with H&R block....you shouldn't owe VA any tax. Either reach out to them for a fix or pick different tax software to use IMO (FreeTaxUSA is good, free federal tax, $15 for state unless your AGI is under $73k as a military member).

EDIT: When you told H&R block where your residence was, did you tell them TX or VA? Residence should be TX unless you're giving them a shipping/physical address.