Parents put me on their marketplace insurance (1095-A) without telling me now my tax return went from $225 refund to paying $4.6k. What can I do?

@chelle An enrolled agent has a license directly from the IRS to practice tax. A "senior tax analyst" is just a job title which can mean whatever the company decides it means.

@batman96795 The trick with ever using those places is a good recommendation to a particular preparer. Friends of mine always went to one guy, he had been an accountant for years and had retired and worked 3 months at H&R Block to supplement his retirement. He found stuff I had no idea I could take off (this was the year after I bought a home). Otherwise I do my own taxes.

But you pick the wrong person and you pay a buttload and don't get a good service. One of my friends was paying them almost $200 for a very simple return with a couple W2s and only a student loan deduction. I do her taxes now and she takes me out to a nice dinner, so win-win. I've tried to convince her the software is easy to use but she won't go for it.

@glenwoodinncc This. Our tax preparer is through H&R Block but we use the same advisor who is actually the husband of my mentor/professor from college. He’s fantastic and I trust his work as I know the family (even donated blood to his daughter).

@batman96795 My dad worked for my state’s IRS for years, after he retired he worked for H and R Block during peck tax time. He said some other people were retirees who had work in the area but others had no idea what they were doing, basically filling out the free online form. Sometimes he would do a walk by, over the shoulder check to make sure they were doing it right.

@daughteroftheking84 I filed through a website called "taxslayer," and they gave me the option to enter each 1095-A month individually, as I only had marketplace insurance until April. YMMV, but it's worth at least checking it out before you spend the time/money on an appointment in-person.

E* it looks like I probably replied to a suggestion from a different thread. I really don't know if the software would allow you to change premium allocation per person.

@abandonedbarns This. Somebody has to settle up the cost. If the parents take care of it all, OP owes nothing (the parents might owe something). If parents don't pay for it all, OP is responsible for their allocated share. $4k seems high but OP and parents and their tax preparers all need to have a group conversation about who's paying.

@daughteroftheking84 Stay away from H&R block. Their tax 'experts' are just data entry people and their software does it all, and it often doesn't do it right. I have a state solar tax credit of $8900 that needed to be rolled over. They didn't know how to do it and their software didn't accommodate it, so they left it out. Had to hire a CPA and pay $200 to amend my taxes. Also took an early distribution from my Roth IRA to buy my house. I knew there would be a penalty for doing so. It was $1200, but Block insisted that I owe $12K. Never again. Bite the bullet and pay the additional to have someone with actual tax knowledge do your taxes.

@harrisonbergeron Yep, H & R should be avoided. They messed up my taxes once....I ended up owing more than $9k to the state. I had bought H & R's Peace of Mind service, and they were very hesitant on fulfilling that service.

@daughteroftheking84 My guess is that they included you in order to qualify for the marketplace tax credit that gets paid directly to the marketplace. They probably had to claim you as a dependent for that, and you are now paying more.