@danxox There are a couple of instances where it might be worthwhile. You could use it for rrsps, then use the tax refund to pay some of it off, and your regular rrsp contributions to pay the rest down. It lets you move up your contributions, effectively. Whether that actually works out mathematically depends on the exact numbers.

Also helps with, say, a bonus (my situation) that you'd want to put into rrsps. Since a bonus is taxed first, you can't put the whole bonus in rrsps. So you borrow from the loc to match the taxes, and then pay it off with the refund.

@christian_follower My husband and I are both with scotiabank and we got the same offer but it was a RRSP catch up LOC. we will never accept it because we don’t even have room but it’s not a good deal anyway because apparently we would need to invest in their MFs. Plus borrowing at 7.7% and expect higher returns in the market is risky, especially on to of their fees. Just make sure it does not say that in the offer.

@soulsearchingservant You can open a self-directed iTRADE account and still use the catch up account and get the 7.7% interest rate. You can buy whatever you want. However, if the capital is less than $25,000, you get charged a $113 annual fee for the RRSP, which is silly imo.

@christian_follower This sounds like an “RSP Catchup LOC” Scotia has started offering them out when you sign in the last few days… If this is the case this is not an unsecured line of credit, and the funds can only be used to make an RSP contribution.

Edited: Grammar