Pay cash or line of credit for used car?

huey507

Hi! Middle-class family of five, two incomes, three school aged kids. We're privileged in that we got into the housing market 15 years ago and thus our mortgage is quite low, and we live well within our means - we work from home and have only ever needed one car, as an example.

Our kids are getting older and in more activities, and we've decided we need a second vehicle - to tote kids about and to tow a small trailer for camping. An investment into our kids' "golden years" before they're jerk teenagers who don't want to go camping with Ma and Pa anymore. Anyways. All this to say...

We bought a used second vehicle, and are picking it up in a few days. I paid a $500 deposit and the remaining balance is about $9000. I have an open line of credit with an 8% interest rate that I was planning on putting the purchase on. However, I also have a "rainy day fund" with about $20K liquid cash.

I'm torn - I COULD and maybe should just pay for the damned thing in cash, but giving up half of my emotional support nest egg seems... risky. My LOC is insured, and if something happened, it would be covered, and in less crisis-situations, I can pay the minimum to get through a tight few months if needed. If I put it on the LOC, I'd be paying it off aggressively - our tax returns this spring and next would pay for half of it, and I'd be throwing $500 or so a month on it on top of that - goal being that it would be paid off in full within 18 months.

To be clear - In addition to this $20K rainy day fund, we don't have a ton of other savings or investments - maybe $10K more that's less liquid. We don't have a ton of other debt aside from our mortgage (no credit card debt, only an existing car payment of $180 bi-weekly and a $19K balance on a line of credit that is attached to our mortgage - septic system blew up last year - which we're paying down relatively aggressively as a choice, but the minimum payment, if we needed to default to that, is $200 a month).

Is it worth my perceived risk to pay the several hundred dollars in interest on the LOC vs paying the whole shebang in cash? That $20K is "all I have" in my brain, and handing half of it over at once is scary. Am I being silly? This is SUCH a middle-class privileged problem to have 😂

@huey507 Pay cash. Then built up the emergency fund again. The LOC can be used as a supplemental emergency fund just in case something happens. It’s what we do. Keep around 30k liquid ,have a 30k LOC and a HELOC.

@kjv5738 Thank you! This could be a dumb question, but is your 30K liquid, $30K LOC and a HELOC methodology yours only, or did you borrow that from a finance/budget framework?

We're on path for that, is why I ask. Short on the liquid cash but we have the other two! $30K liquid has always been some sort of internal benchmark of "safe" for me, oddly.

@huey507 The 30k is liquid. It’s in a HYSA. It’s something I came up on my own. The 30k liquid is what you see everywhere so I started with that. Then added the LOC and HELOC at later dates. All three have their uses and I use them accordingly. The LOC and HELOC i used extensively when rates were and invested in the stock market for good returns. Now they are there in case I need capital.

@huey507 If you're willing to make monthly payments using your LOC, you can just pay cash for the purchase and rebuild it over time using the money you'd be paying monthly for the financing.

I'm in the same boat as you (about a year out from purchase, though) and had the same mental debate.

I realized it would only take me about 10 months to rebuild what I'd spend in cash, and by doing so, I can obviously avoid any interest.

Don't forget to factor in the additional insurance costs, which might be higher than average if you're insuring teen drivers!

@christiandad This is a great re-frame. Thank you! I think paying cash and then rebuilding the nest egg as aggressively as I was planning to pay off the car on the LOC is a solid move and makes the loss of half the nest egg less terrifying.

@huey507 Don’t “pay cash” for the car if you’re buying at a dealership. Haggle with them and act like you’re financing it and then they get you a better deal and cheaper car. Then just cancel the gap insurance and crap and immediately pay off the car.