Is there a service to automatically negotiate my subscriptions (e.g. Bell, Rogers)?

magdaleenmeyer

I'm tired of having to call Rogers or Bell each year to negotiate my bills and get a lower rate plan. Are there services that can do this on my behalf for a commission?

@r2rwc Be prepared to leave though. Rogers gave no fucks this year after 5 years using them for internet and I did leave and am enjoying my much lower priced bill.

@wongster Then their sales will start harassing you.

I left Rogers and every once while, they bombard me with as many as 4-5 calls a day. They call during business hours and at evenings. They are crazy

@wongster Maybe their sales haven’t gotten to you yet lol

Right after I left them, I got a bunch of calls from them asking why I left and what could they do to bring me back. Then they started to harass me once a while. Just got bunch of calls the week before last.

@wongster Yeah they’re giving no fucks with me this year. Been a customer for 25 years or more. Usually can get them to give me a good deal every year,
but not this year. They won’t budge, want me to take a plan that’s 25% more. They won’t offer me anything less than $139.99 + tax for two year 1.5 gb plan (with $15/month cancellation penalty). It costs less to have tv included, but it’s still 25% more.

Who did you end up going to?

@trulycatholics I ended up at tekksavvy for $40 a month. My Rogers plan had creeped from $45 6 years ago to 75 last year.. And they told me 99 a month was the best they could do this year and I said no thank you.

@omega2xx That's what I do.

I take an hour or so each year to review things like mobile service and internet service.

Go straight to the retention department.

@r2rwc I did this years ago and they tried to upsell me further, then basically just went “Bye, Felicia” when I told them I’m cancelling the service and changing carriers. I hear all these stories about just asking for their retention department but that wasn’t my experience at all and I just ended up switching carriers.

@r2rwc Why is that so crazy? We have travel agencies which people might use once every few years and mortgage brokers which people might use once in their life. Some people just want a convenient service.

@r2rwc Not that crazy considering it can take time out of your day to do this. With that said, the best deals are only available when you have a cancellation date booked. Otherwise the deals they offer aren't great.

@omega2xx It depends on what's available at the time but for example from a couple years back, Rogers customer service could only offer $55/mo for 500 Mbps via their loyalty department. After scheduling a cancellation, Winback called to offer $50/mo for 500 Mbps and ultimately was able to switch it to $50/mo for their 1 Gbps package.

I'm currently with Bell paying $45/mo for 1.5 Gbps download, 940 Mbps upload fiber-to-the-home. It was $40/mo for the first year until their annual increase to the underlying plan pricing. It came with a $150 Costco gift card when I signed up.

The best thing you can do is check Redflagdeals for the latest promos and get through to Winback or equivalent to know what they're really able to offer. Also important is to switch when something better is available. It does take time to figure out the landscape and negotiate every year or so.