If you had a R40K lumpsum to generate income..

kabriana

If you had a lumpsum of R40k which you would need to start generating income immediately, assuming you had the following at your disposal: a car, a laptop, internet connection, etc.

What business would you start or method would you follow?

Projected income requirements & time allocation are as follows, for the first 3-6 months no profit is required but you'll have limited time, needing to plan, prepare, and operate outside of a standard business week. Also, there's no defined time, when you need to start generating income then it needs to be by the end of the same month.
For the following 8 months, you'd need to bring in R15k a month profit with no time limitations outside of 6.30am - 7.30am & 5pm - 9pm.
and R30k per month on a monthly basis thereafter with no time limitations outside of 6.30am - 7.30am & 5pm - 9pm.

Trading etc. is not an option. A regular job could be an option but you've applied to a hundred positions with no luck - I'm in an obscure position which is not that common locally - while the skills are great, the job title isn't easily transferable for local job requirements.

= = = = = = = = =

Checked the rules - Add enough info on posts for redditors to understand why the post is being made: note - I previously avoided the circumstances because i didnt want it to sound like a vent session but here goes: I'm likely going to lose my job within the next 3 - 6 months. I'm not going to get into specifics here. I've got 6 months of expenses saved up which I can stretch over that 8 month period of "R15k per month" mentioned above. I'm also likely going to be a single mom within the next 2-3 months, not due to circumstances within my control but because my SO has one on the way. Not with me. Downscaling is not an option because we're already on the outskirts of the locations which is pretty much as low as sanely doable. I have no family of my own and no one to lean on to support or assist me. I have no social life or friends - my chat with myself shows up first on my frequently contacted on WhatsApp if you think I'm being dramatic here. There's no one. Just me. I've been trying to save my job but my mental health is at an all time low and I'm currently subject to micromanagement which comes from the top down and this past week there was just a situation where i needed to think about what I was doing with a work task and I won't be afforded that time to think because I had a couple (less than 10 if my memory serves me correctly) bad days last year due to personal circumstances and two really bad days in January 2023 (I didn't make a mistake, just didn't reach my target for that week due to a personal circumstance) and any time I take too long for something, the business views it as time wasting and i just can't come up with the words to explain that i took 17 minutes to think about a actively think about and review a situation before doing something which could affect someone else negatively. It was not a time-sensitive decision that needed to be made besides reaching a target for how long its supposed to take to click the buttons on a form. This is not the first time something like this has happened so it isn't coming out of nowhere and I understand the company's lack-of-humanness-stance here. It's corporate. It's a cutthroat world. Nothing I can do to change it but suck it up & deal. We had some org changes over the past few years and the company isn't what it used to be - to the extent that there are trending LinkedIn posts to "make (company) great again".
I've tried applying for teaching jobs online and have not gotten in at any companies yet. I've registered on freelancing platforms but have gotten no jobs yet. My LinkedIn profile & CV are up to date and I've submitted easily 100 individualized, customized, personalized, job-specific applications over the last 6 months with not one single interview or feedback email yet. Short of the realization that if I just go before I get fired that my kids will still get a decent payout which feels like it's gonna be worth more to them at this point, but knowing that i can never let them tell that story, the R40k that I can afford to set aside to generate income is my only hope. I've gotten no sleep tonight trying to think of how I'm going to make it work but it just seems like all the doors are closed and there's no way out right now.

Adding as well that the R40K will be coming through next month and there will be another approx. R40K in November if I can stick it out for that long without getting the boot.

@kabriana If you're techie but don't want to code, how about doing technician work? The CompTIA A+ and N+ technician courses take a few months to prep for and can be done by just buying (or downloading) the books. Exams are reasonably priced and you get internationally recognised certification. You can start your own business or get work with a company pretty easily.

@kabriana I'm sorry to hear about your situation, I really am, and I send my sincerest sympathies.. Life can be an absolute shitfest of hell, there's no sugar coating that.

Myself and my wife work at a company that has involved into a souless husk of micromanagement and it's incredibly difficult for us to leave for a lot of reasons. She has applied to HUNDREDS of jobs over the last few months, and miraculously gotten a good response to 1 this past week, which looks like it's going to be a great opportunity. There's hope, it just takes an dumb amount of time for anything good to really happen. (It's also nice that when she leaves her current company, they will likely close down in the months to come, as she is a serious key employee with skills not a single other person has lol)

Regarding your request for guidance on generating income, and actually relating to mental health: What do you enjoy doing? Or what do you think you could have an interest in? Sometimes we are lucky enough to do the things we like in order to get an income. Perhaps ask yourself this question seriously and see where you land. Sometimes the answer is more off key than we think, but could allow you to look into jobs that are not exactly conventional but still allow for income.

Also, what type of job are you currently doing? Perhaps if we know that, we might be able to suggest similar roles that you MIGHT not have thought of.

Wishing you all the best and I'm sure that once this period in your life is over (it will end, trust me), you will find real happiness.

@krys77 Thank you for this.

I work in the tech space - currently filled with global hiring freezes and many jobseeking employees who have been retrenched, etc.

My specific role is one that The Average Joe would view as entry-level cybersecurity, but the cybersecurity world doesn't really subscribe to the same belief, lol.

@kabriana I’ve read the rest of the post after hearing my comment made you laugh. 😹

You’d make a perfect prompt engineer. Perhaps consider that when deciding what path to go down in future.

I’m sorry to hear about the hardships you’re facing. I’m rooting for you and hope to see you make it out on top.

I don’t have much suggestions, just a 22M here trying to figure out life. I hope that you may find some of the comments in here helpful to you. 💙

@kabriana Although it’s not a replacement for a full time job or business, I would recommend registering with userinterviews.com. I saw a previous comment where you said you were in the tech space so you’re probably going to be matched with more interviews than me.

They pay in dollars so you’ll at least be able to build up your savings a little more and it will give you more time.

@kabriana You’re welcome! What I’ve noticed is that the more you apply, the more they send you. Just keep applying to random studies even if they aren’t in your field.

@kabriana learn to service italian coffee machines and offer your service to restaurants, cafés and private homes. There are a few companies doing this but their marketing is subpar - you can offer it on facebook marketplace, gumtree and word of mouth more than anything.

@kabriana What are your skills utilize your skills that your possess naturally.I realised it later that education or work is not the best way to go about having a successful life or business.Natural talents are your keys.Start posting your hobbies online start blogging your favorite things.Its a long journey but you can generate a stable income.

@kabriana How about becoming a locksmith or a plumber? There has to be some demand for tradeswomen? I can imagine some women would prefer a female locksmith to come to their rescue.

And also look into seeing someone to help with your mental health.

@kabriana I would suggest first and foremost, delving into your psychology because just like everyone else on earth you deserve success , abundance, health and wealth. The better we understand ourselves the better we can place ourself in the market to provide valuab"le service. I would jump into these books to start with. Think and grow rich" - Napolean Hill, "How to win friends and influence people"- Dale Carnegie and "Psychocybernetics" - Maxwell Maltz

I think they will all serve to help you make wise choices and they are low cost high reward investments.

@kabriana You can go from zero to paid coder in 6 months, if you have the aptitude. A colleague's wife left teaching and did this. Beginner jobs pay R25k and up. If you have to work for yourself, there are places like upwork and fiverr. Good luck.

@ethan46 I've dabbled in coding before but it feels so overwhelming to know which language to choose. I've got basic knowledge in python, R, Java, react, Javascript, but I can never decide what to just pick & run with to mastery.