If I’m notifying my insurance does it makes sense to just claim

dhatura

Involved in a minor incident on the roads today (UK), it was my fault.
My car and his have very minor cosmetic damage.
This is the first time I’ve ever been involved in an incident so I still can’t get my head around some things.
Did the usual swap details etc and I thought that you can go around it by not informing insurers and paying out of pocket and avoiding high premiums etc.
Anyway after looking into I saw I HAD to let my insurance know within 24 hours which wouldn’t have been long enough to get a quote from the guy who’s car I hit and risk the quote being way too high to pay out of pocket. Glad I did anyway as I’ve been notified the other driver has made a claim through my insurance! (Lesson learnt never trust someone who says we will do it away from insurance).
So
1.) after informing my insurers and letting them know I was at fault for a minor incident (what’s the point lying) today, it got me thinking why do insurers always tell you not to take blame? Is it simply to try and save them having to pay out extra money for the person I hit cars excess?

2.) if I have to notify them them anyway, surely it makes sense to just claim through the insurance if the quotes are more than how much excess I need to pay? Because when it comes to renewing the question asked is “have you been involved in an accident in the last 5 years” … so even if I notify them and don’t claim, will the premiums still be the same next year if I just claim?

3.) how do insurers decide if a car falls into a category e.g Cat s and Cat N etc? I really don’t want a car that falls into one of these? My insurance have accepted my claim and got me booked in for the repair for the body work

@dhatura Never admit blame to the othet party even if it is blatently your fault. Leave it to your Insurance Company to determine that.

If you do admitits your fault, you could be tying the hands of your Insurance company. . You never know what might come to light during the investigation by your Insurance Company. They are the experts on claims and blame.