I’m so done with full-width kanji-only input

laya

This is basically just a rant for catharsis, so that I can get this off my chest and move on. Haha.

I’m buying a house so I’ve been applying for mortgages from a few banks, shopping around for a good rate. One of the banks - au jibun bank - had very attractive rates advertised, so I applied with them as one of my options.

They’re an Internet bank, so of course my expectations for customer service were fairly low to begin with, but it’s just a mortgage application, so I thought there was benefit in seeing my options.

When initially entering my name in the system, of course the first box says 全角kanji only, so I try to enter 全角roman letters, as that is how my name is displayed on my IDs. First, try and I doesn’t go through because of a system error. I figure it might be that there was a space between my first and middle name, so I try again with 全角 roman letters and no space. Their system is quite annoying, because in order to re-enter my name, I also had to re-enter all of the other information on the page (address, contact info, desired borrowing amount, etc. etc.). Second try also gets the error. So, I go through the whole thing once more and enter my name in Katakana. Finally, it goes through. Fine.

I get through the pre-approval quickly, they call me and confirm a few things, tell me I can proceed with the main assessment. Everything seems good.

It takes maybe a week to get all the documentation in order (and all the file sizes compressed), but I upload my real estate contract and all the required documents. Not too difficult.

They contact me again, saying everything looks good, but I also have to apply for an account with their bank. Ok, all very standard.

I apply for the bank account. A few days pass and I get an email saying that I must upload additional paperwork related to my additional “tax residency” in my home country, bla bla bla. It’s quite a pain but I do it. I’m used to it by now.

After all this, I FINALLY get an email today (probably auto-generated, no-reply address) saying that my bank account application was denied because my name does not match the name on my ID docs.

I’m done. Au jibun bank can kindly go fuck themselves.

I already had an issue with this earlier this year when my tax return was delayed and didn’t make it into my account because of the same issue (even though I filled it out while physically at the tax office and was instructed by the staff there to enter my name exactly as that).

Anyhow, if you don’t have a kanji name, please don’t waste your time with Au jibun bank or any institution that has applications that start with “full-width kanji only” inputs.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.

(By the way, MUFJ and Sony bank still seem pretty cool so far…)

@laya I got more success with paper applications. When given the choice, I always choose paper. That way, a real human deal with the pain of entering my name, and ask for help to proper higher ups.... instead of being denied by a robot because you've put a comma instead of a space somewhere.

@spamdetector Yes, I agree. However, that excludes our entire demographic from taking advantage of the low rates that Internet banks offer. I wish that these institutions could be better, and I feel that they have the capacity to if they only just decided to get with the current century.

@laya Yes. Not only Internet Banks, got same issues with many credit card applications.

Also been impossible for me to use some crypto exchanges in Japan because of some paper spelling my name slightly differently, or my name not entering into the allocated space and getting rejected for truncating it.

Never got those issues with paper applications though

@nokia5800 Seriously. There really needs to be a law that any registration that requires you to submit your full name must be able to support as many characters as the government IDs that they are supposed to match.

Or just switch to the my number number.

In my country we use our personal identification number as the base for everything so it doesn't matter if you don't write all your names.
My bank in my country doesn't list all my names but in Japan it's somehow important.

Like fuck. SMBC and SBI support different amount of characters for their name input, both to short for my name and does it check the katakanazation of my name? Did they katakanaize it the same way? Sbi lists three of my five names in romaji but four of my names in katakana.

So when I register a cc for my tsumitate Nisa I have to call sbi to get them to turn off the "same name" requirement on their web form so I that I can register it.
Then smbc is two katakana short of my full name.

The really really stupid thing is as long as my identification card copies are the same it shouldn't matter what my "screen name" is. They should just let me use the Mynumber that's the same length for everyone.

@patknipe I couldn't register my Rakuten credit card for Tsumitate on my Rakuten Shoken account because Rakuten CC doesn't have spaces in FirstMiddle name field, while Shoken refuses to remove the space between First Middle because that's how it appears on my ID.

Meanwhile my French banks don't even know my middle name.

@newbeginning1996 ID shows the space. So Shoken uses that.

Rakuten CC on the other hand, trims the spaces before inserting into their DB. It was a few years ago they simply told me “they don’t handle spaces in first names and middle names”.

@teababy1 I had the same issue but I managed to get the names and spaces matching for the tsumitate Rakuten Card payments on Rakuten Securities. It was an absolute nightmare involving countless phone calls to both the card company and brokerage, and I had to post application forms, of course.

@patknipe I feel the pain... (2 last , 2 first names here)

I recently opened an account with SBI and even though I did the paper forms when I looked into the account info it showed my name pretty butchered (one of the last names in the name field and so on)

So of course, when I tried to deposit directly from my bank account it gave the usual error that name doesn't match.

So I submitted the documents for name change to make sure it was correct... Still error and the client information still shows the butchered info.

I can manually transfer money there and back and their mail letters have the correct name, so I thought well that's good enough...
But now opening an Ideco account with them is another round of similar problems...

In contrast though, I recently opened an account also with Rakuten and was surprised I could do it online fully with my name. Since they properly had some sections like "what's your name" "now choose your name to be displayed and can be an abbreviation"
Very painless for the broker account even though I remember some years back and still some existing issues with credit card related stuff.

One question though since I also plan to do the CC with SBI, what names are they comparing? The one on your cc ? That would be the first time I see happening but wouldnt surprise me