Employment law clarification

j87

Gidday team, through my job as an accountant I have a basic understanding of certain aspects of employment law, hoping someone can provide clarification on the following:

A family member who is employed has basically been told the company employing him needs to reduce his hours significantly starting next week. He has near enough 4x weeks of annual leave.

My understanding is this - if he agreed to reduce his hours, the annual leave he has accrued at x amount of hours per week would not be paid out on the same basis they were accrued, but would instead be paid out on the basis of his new standard hours, i.e. 4 weeks annual leave at say 40 hours per week entitles him to be paid 4 weeks worth of 40 hours, however if his new standard hours were 20 hours per week he would still have 4 weeks annual leave, however these would only be paid out at 20 hours per week if he took that annual leave on his reduced hours.

As a result of this reduction in hours, he's considering handing his notice in. He has a 4 week notice period. The employer will be providing a variation of hours agreement to amend his employment contract to the new hours which he will be expected to sign before the end of the week if he wishes to continue working for his employer.

If he hands in his notice while on his current hours, my understanding is he is entitled to serve the notice period and be paid for the hours he performs or would perform under his current contract. If this does not suit the employer, they must pay him him for the hours he would work during the notice period in lieu of actually working the hours.

Regarding the annual leave component - his annual leave would be paid out post-notice period. Therefore, his notice period (4 weeks) plus annual leave accrued (4 weeks at his current contracted hours) is 8 weeks of wages he is entitled to. Factor in the public holidays that fall over Christmas and New Years and he is very nearly entitled to 9 weeks worth of wages.

If my understanding is correct, my advice to him was that he should hand his notice in and that he should be entitled to the nearly 9 weeks wages at his current contracted hours.

I understand no legal advice is allowed to be provided on this sub, however I am not seeking advice but merely seeking a yes/no as to whether my understanding is correct based on the information I've provided from someone more knowledgeable in employment law than myself. Feel free to private message me if you wish. Cheers

@j87 TL:DR.

Annual Leave is paid at the higher rate of average weekly earnings, or ordinary weekly pay.
If he accepted the variation to reduced hours, Annual Leave would still be paid out at AWE - provided he takes the leave in the short term….

@blitzking Yeah that's the conclusion we've arrived at - it's not worth staying at the job on the reduced hours, idea is to give notice and get paid his notice period on current higher hours, get annual leave paid out at ordinary weekly pay (which would be based on higher hours), plus public holidays over Christmas and New Year on top. There is a provision in the contract saying they can make him redundant if he doesn't accept changes to his role, I assume they could/would do this if he hands in notice - but in that case 2 weeks notice of redundancy vs 4 weeks notice from employee he'd only lose out on 2 weeks and probably a couple public holidays early January depending on timing

Edit; Thanks for the response

@j87 Statutory public holidays that occur after an employee's final day are only included in a final payment for the portion of annual leave that is entitled, not accrued. Worth double checking.

@j87
I understand no legal advice is allowed to be provided on this sub, however I am not seeking advice but merely seeking a yes/no as to whether my understanding is correct based on the information I've provided from someone more knowledgeable in employment law than myself.

In other words, legal advice?

Go talk to an employment lawyer, not Reddit.

Get your point. Annual leave is based on weeks so anything previous will be based on 4 weeks at full time at average daily pay. He’ll be okay and be paid right. FYI better to take the small hit and resign in a months time so he gets all public holidays

@alf I think you're making the assumption that he wasn't employed for 12 months, not the case and I'm not sure you've followed my understanding. Thanks though

@j87 It's based on an average, if you're someone that does a lot of overtime you'll get holiday pay that pays more than your standard rate.

@j87 If he simply doesn’t sign the new contract, is he therefore disestablished and made redundant?

Does he have a redundancy clause in his current contract? As following this process, he could be entitled to a lot more than 9 weeks at the original rates.

@brorob Redundancy in his contract requires 2 weeks notice and no specific redundancy compensation - I suspect if the employer knows what they're doing they'll do this when he hands notice in

@j87 I don't know the law - best I can tell you is how we handle this.

We give annual leave as # of hours. So your family member would have ~160 hours annual leave accrued, and for the sake of the example I'll say they're reducing his hours from 40pw to 10pw.

After an hours reduction he would still have ~160 hours of leave, and if he now takes a week off then he would use 10 of those hours.

The rate that he'd get paid for an hour of annual leave is the greater of current wage and average salary. So... if someone has a wage drop and a few weeks pass then their pay per hour would drop. However if your family member is still on the same hourly rate then this won't change.