Shoutout to the good employers out there!

One of the last straws I had with a company I’d worked for was when they fired a single mother three weeks before Christmas. She’d worked there for 4-5 years or so and literally worked her ass off, 40 hours in office and she easily did another 20 hours at home in the evenings and weekends. I couldn’t believe it. Taught me a valuable lesson that day about how the company values their employees and I quit less than two months later.

@jsanford108 Currently work for the best company I've ever worked for. I had an "in" because a family member of mine does HR consulting and had told me it was the best employer to work for in terms of their employee satisfaction (he did the surveys). This was about 2 years ago. I applied and got accepted last year.

It's a non-profit but the pay is very competitive. It's lower than your typical big private sector companies, but still higher than average and equivalent roles in the public sector.

They just announced a few weeks ago that all new employees will start with 4 weeks vacation, with increases to 5 weeks after 3 years and 6 weeks after 6 years. Before the change it was 3 weeks to start, and you didn't cap out at 6 weeks until 25 years of service.

In addition, they give us 11 additional paid days off throughout the year (mostly they extend our stat 3 day weekends into 4 day weekends). The nice thing about these is that everyone is off, so you don't come back to a bunch of unread e-mails and missed work. So effectively everyone starts with 6 weeks vacation (plus a day) and will be at 8 weeks plus a day after working there for 6 years.

They also have a 7% RRSP matching program and top-tier health & dental benefits. Fully remote. And the standard work week is 35 hours.

If nothing major changes I'll never work anywhere else.