Can I use a 0% balance transfer on a CC to pay down my mortgage.

jules63

I was browsing credit card products this afternoon. I started wondering if I could use use a 0% balance transfer on a CC to pay down my mortgage.

I currently have a line of credit with Bank A (with nothing owing). And a 55K mortgage.

Bank B is offering 0% interest free transfers for 12 months.

My thoughts are to maybe move $10k from bank A into my mortgage offset account. Then open a credit card with bank B and transfer to 10K debt onto it.

At the end of the 12 months I can move the money back and pay off the mortgage. But wouldn't have paid the interest on the 10k owing for the year. This could potentially save me around $650.

Is that how it would work ?? Or is there some catch I don't know about?? I don't have a good understanding of how a lot of these financial products work.

Thanks a million.

@jules63 There is a way to do this with any Citi cards that have the PayAll feature - it used to be 0% fee but could no longer be the case now. Other banks may have similar features but don't know them off the top of my head.

Basically the PayAll feature on the card allows you to transfer the money into another account, it's meant to be used for paying certain bills etc. I have heard of many people that have used it to pay off a loan and then balance transfer the balance from the Citi card to a 36 month interest free balance transfer card.

@jules63 Before considering a balance transfer, it's essential to be mindful of additional fees involved. Typically, there's a cash advance fee, usually around 3.00% of the transaction amount from Bank A, and a balance transfer fee from Bank B, which can be as high as 5.00% of the transaction amount. So, unless your current interest rate exceeds these fees, it might not be a wise move.

Balance transfers are primarily designed to help manage high-interest debt, such as credit cards carrying rates of 20-30%. It's a strategic tool for paying off such debts more efficiently. Always crunch the numbers and consider the fees before deciding whether a balance transfer is the right option for your financial situation

@jules63 A lot of people saying you can't do this, but you absolutely can.

Balance transfer issuer doesn't know the balance of the account you are crediting,

So, a super common way to achieve this is balance transfer from one credit card to another, both with zero balance, then withdraw from the now in credit credit card account

There shouldn't be any reason this shouldn't work for your LOC with bank A. You could just call them to check what their process for an in credit account would be.

@jules63 Pretty sure the only somewhat difficult thing would how to pay your mortgage with Credit Card A. If you can do that, there’s no reason why you can’t do a balance transfer to Credit Card B.