Better idea to finance an electric car?$300

@resjudicata They are the hidden costs ya wombat haha. As i said each person is different and based off usage amd maximising what you can. You need to factor all that in If you only do 100 kms a week youll be way ahead. If youre doing 500 -1000 plus a week, you'll want to be more careful in your costings. And pay the extra, hidden costs of a 15a circuit, a PV system and consider a fast charger.

@renee13 You realise I drive about 800km/ week in an EV without having to pay any of that. And due to the retailer im with, it’s cheaper for me to charge off the grid than to use my solar.

@resjudicata Now you're talking out your arse. If your plugged in at home during daylight hours. You're using your pv. You cant select grid or solar at home.

If you dont have any of that and you do 800kms a week, you can save more by having that stuff. I literally work on this stuff. People think they will save huge amounts but their utilisation of the vehicle matters. And if not factored in. There ARE hidden costs.

@resjudicata Fair call, apologies for being rude or abrupt. Im not against electric cars. I just see alot of people get suckered in to the hype.

By this i mean, theyll spend an extra 10-20k retail for say a tesla. When they were looking to buy a Hyundai hatch or something. They are cheap to run. And can be very good for some. But i have also seen people get scammed for smart chargers etc when they really didnt need them, the flip side is ive also seen people buy an electric vehicle and they were not getting enough charge for the style of driving they were doing and needed to fork out extra.

@resjudicata About 4 hours to 60km. If you're driving 800kms in a week. You need to trickle charge for 53 hours? Genuine query.

Do you have a fast charger at work? Or public one? Those lithium batteries will be getting quite flogged lol. I am very keen to see what these vehicle retail and used go for in the future.

@scott1988 A big cost to consider with an EV long term is battery replacement. The technology is still in early stages, so there are constant improvements and changes but also not a lot of long term life data.

Yes you'll have a paid off EV after 5 years, but how much life will be left in that battery, and what is the potential replacement/repair costs.

Also with the technology improving, I don't think your 5 year old model is going to command the same market value as a brand new EV.

@scott1988 (I live in the USA)

Here's a tool to work out if it makes sense for YOU https://data.coltura.org/tools/calculator (obviously you will have to adjust for Australian situation)

If you drive a lot (are a gasoline super-user), then the savings in gasoline are significant. eg. if you spend $500 a month with an older car you can easily save hundreds per month driving electric -- before even considering the maintenance savings (I have has a Chevy Bolt for 6 years and have done nothing beyond replace the tires and the wiper blades and added wiper fluid!)

In most cases it just makes sense to finance an EV purchase -- especially if you drive a lot and can charge at home).

@catholiclady85 I’m 16 😂

I don’t think I would seriously consider purchasing a new car until WAY down the line. This was more of a fun hypothetical, I wanted to see if it had any merit as I’m attempting to navigate this space so early!

@scott1988 Well I think as other people have pointed out, you’re far better off keeping your existing car and just enjoying life.

Cars can be enjoyable but a 40k MG EV probably won’t be a great one.

@scott1988 Broadly speaking, the saving in petrol may cover your interest cost (if you charge with solar for example). The saving on repairs of an older luxury or European car may cover your devaluation costs (not uncommon to have a multi-thousand-dollar repair annually on these vehicles).

Overall - obviously a used, reliable brand ICE car with a small engine and modest servicing needs would be cheaper. However for about the same cost as running an older European / luxury car you could have a much newer, quieter, cleaner, safer and warrantied EV, yes. The logic is broadly sound. Even better if you buy a second hand EV still under warranty but for under $30k and with a low interest green loan (e.g. ACT offers 0% for the first $15k).

@pnella See that’s what I’m saying. I’m not that serious about any of this but realistically you articulated that better than I did - if the numbers actually do line up like that e.g Petrol savings > insurance expense and the servicing is roughly equal (given the current car costs around $3000 p.a I reckon it’d be less), then my brain went ‘oh, well then that’s a good idea right because you’d save on petrol in the long term.

However as pointed out by many others, there is also an opportunity cost involved in putting in any initial amount myself, which is totally valid. HOWEVER, if I decided to continue driving this Lexus, I’d end up buying it off my parents for a similar amount to what I said you could hypothetically contribute to the Ev - between $5-10k.

Oh well just a fun little idea i wanted advice on to learn from :) appreciate the comment

@scott1988 Yes, fun thought experiment. Even more interesting when you consider that car subscriptions might be the future - no initial purchase price, just a monthly cost (kind of like everything else that's moved to subscriptions like music/movies/phones). EV's suit this as it allows for a closed recycling loop, and the days of owning the 50 year old classic are rapidly coming to an end thanks to heavy use of proprietary electronics and cheap plastic parts.

The future has no 20yo bangers?