30/f, making only $750/mo. Trying to save but now impossible

wmaphumulo

I have a bachelor in writing and a master in public administration. I just graduated in August

Last year, I quit my job as an after school coordinator because I was overworked, not growing professionally, and wanted to give more time to my final semester at school. I was lucky enough to find a job as a personal assistant to someone in the meantime, which helped pay my bills as well as having a small nest egg of savings from my student loans. However, in April, I was suddenly let go because they couldn’t afford to keep me on. I secured another job in August as a VA but it’s not lucrative and unstable. In fact, I just lost one of my clients, reducing my pay to around $700/mo.

At this point, I’ve blown through my savings, have applied to 100’s of jobs, interviewed so many times with little results, and have survived on the good will of family and friends. I also need to move out of my apartment in 1 month and have no idea where I’m going to live (with my current pay, it’ll be hard to be approved for a place). I’m at the end of my rope and don’t know what to do. I feel like such a loser. What can I do at this point? Any advice is great advice.

Update:

Thank you to everyone who gave genuine advice. I hit rock bottom yesterday and needed to hear ideas outside my own head.

@resjudicata Ppl really need to consider the return on investment for whatever you’re studying in college ESPECIALLY if you’re taking out student loans for said education.

@babyl I feel bad but this is unfortunately true. My first degree was one where I knew I’d get a stable job anywhere. My second was one I enjoyed.

@babyl Not enough will look at a college education in a business perspective. They need to consider the ROI and ROE to determine why here it’s a good idea.

Maybe a strong factor why student debt is so high

@resjudicata This is so true! My first major was public policy and I was making 24k as a new grad. Not enough to get my own place or live comfortably, so I worked 2 jobs. Went back to school for nursing, fast forward 7 yrs and I’m at 250k. First degree was an absolute waste of time .

@wmaphumulo An MPA qualifies you for all sorts of government jobs. If those are the types of jobs you’re struggling to get, then reach out to the counseling department at your school. They can and do help alums too. Make sure someone else in your field (could be friends or professors) take a look at your resume and other materials just for a good check. Though the fact that you’re getting interviews is a good sign. But do some of the quick jobs folks mention below to keep you housed and fed in the meantime, but you can and should be able to land a well-paying MPA related job. It just can take awhile. Good luck!

@meganschlegan Agree. I work for the state and the degree could easily get her some opportunities to get in. Bonus is you can get a pension and great healthcare benefits.

In the meantime, OP: target/grocery stores, etc.. get a job that pays the bills. I’m assuming you have student loans. Make sure to look into income based payment programs and another selling point is PSLF if you have the right loans.

@samualmathews I second this. I joined the military after finishing my degree, didn't even go in as a officer as I could have (I wanted to experience it from the bottom!). Absolute best decision I ever made.

@samualmathews How do officers adapt to life after the military though? I have a friend who was a military officer. When he got out, around age 50, although he had a nice pension, it wasn't enough to raise a family on, so he looked for work. And looked, and looked, and looked. Problem is, you can't just jump into any company at a management level because those positions typically go to internal people, or external people who know the industry.

At best, he can do military consulting jobs now.