30/f, making only $750/mo. Trying to save but now impossible

@vianney That speaks more to that specific individual. The smarter veterans have extensive disability claims and make more once retired than when serving. And it’s mostly tax free.

Then get a kosher city/state job and coast into retirement.

@vianney Agreed this was totally on the individual or unwillingness to move. There are literally hundreds of thousands of jobs either with the federal government or as a contractor for the federal government that are tailor made for prior service military.

@irgrad2002 He needed to be in the same area as his elderly parents, not a backwoods place, but definitely didn't have the ability to move anywhere. He was a colonel, and found it difficult to find something the equivalent - wouldn't have been happy walking a mail route or something like that.

@vianney Enlisted here, can’t speak for officers but I got my bachelors while I was in service (I knew I was only doing 6 years). I searched for a job for 6 months, not settling for anything that didn’t have healthcare coverage for my kid who was less than a year at the time. We survived on me using the GI bill for a second degree while I searched. I also received vet compensation (didn’t even know this was a thing). Long story short I got lucky and landed a GS job and now make more than I’ve ever made.

@vianney My cousin did his 20 yrs they gave his pension and told him if he went to school he would get additional money. They also pay for his housing. He is single and lives with his mom. He just got a BMW and living life.

Your friend should go check out to see if they provide more resources.