Replacement for www.propertyprice.co.nz (x-post from r/nz)

reneprays

FINAL UPDATE:

Due to various issues that some of the users had with the Electron app, and the fact that it only ran on Windows, I have decided to put in the effort to convert Avo to a Google Chrome extension with the help from another Redditor.

Please get it here.

Essentially, this works the same as before but in a much more light-weight package. You will now be able to use this app on MacOS and Linux as well. Lastly, the same extension works for both TM and RE sites.

Happy (house) hunting! :)

ORIGINAL POST:

Hey guys, I am a software dev from United States (in the process of moving to NZ), and I was very disappointed with TM taking down www.propertyprice.co.nz as I'm sure many of you are as well.

As a service to this community, I have created a working replacement of this project in the form of an Electron desktop app: github.com/cheekyavo

While heavily inspired by @caroljoy's work, distributing this project as a desktop app features few distinct advantages:
  • I did not use any of TM's APIs, nor am I storing any of their sensitive data, so there should be no legitimate ground for any takedowns.
  • The app behaves in the exact same manner as a normal user would, narrowing down the search until desired result is achieved.
  • It is not hosted as a website, and the source code is for everyone to see / modify, which should increase its resiliency from takedowns. It might only stop working if TM modifies their public website. In the above case, I'm sure the community will step in to make any necessary adjustments.
Big props to @caroljoy for his hard work on the original project, and feel free to contact me if you have any feedback or issues with using the app.

p.s. Because I am not storing any data, the search takes longer than PPC site did (~30 secs). I believe that PPC had pre-compiled results, which is why it is/was faster, and which is probably why it ran afoul of TM.

@reneprays I know you're legit - but does nobody have security concerns about downloading a file from a random stranger on the internet?? Seriously people up your security game.