robbvii

Hi guys. First time to do a major renovation on our bare small house after more or less five years of living here. We thought it is due time to have some improvements, starting with the kitchen.

We reached to different contractors and they quoted as around 300k for the whole thing. Just want to ask if this is a right price?

For context, kitchen space is around 7ft by 8ft. We are going for a L shape kitchen style with lower and upper cabinets. But para na rin cyang U since sa one side will be a counter. And sa remaining side din is a tall cabinet, so all in all, all four sides of the perimeter will almost be worked on. Target kitchen is also modular and the contractor we are interested in said they will be using good quality materials like quartz for counter top and melamine marine board for the cabinets. Included na din lighting and plumbing and installation plus rangehood, sink with kangaroo pull out faucet, pantry cabinets, plate and glass organizer, interior shelving sa cabinets and etc.

They will do the design and construction and installation.

This is my first time on this, so just want to ask if you guys think the price is right? I consulted my parents about this one but in their opinion it is very expensive and they expected only more or less 100k. But I think the pricing is now very different due to inflation etc. I also asked multiple contractors but their quotation is almost similar which is around 300k.

And if you have tips po as we go about the renovation, that will be helpful for us hehe. We want to this right :D Thanks!

@robbvii Suggesting to try doing Ikea design planner. It will at least give you a better perspective on what you can do in your kitchen dimension and also pricing.

It's available online and you can do your design at your pace and time.

@chadm Thanks po, will try this one in the future. But for the current kitchen design, I think goods na yung meron ngayon. But will definitely keep this in mind next time!

@spingle No. They are only responsible in helping you with the Ikea kitchen setup. All outlets and water line you need to decide or plan for yourself.

@robbvii With that costing, it’s roughly Php 60,000/sqm. To determine if that’s a fair price, the contractor should already show you the basis of the detailed cost estimate ie design drawings and specifications.

When comparing costs from different suppliers check the source, material description, brand etc. There are different sources of quartz for example, the cheaper ones are 50% resin, the more expensive ones only have 7% resin. Definitely the latter is the more durable kind. What board is going to be used, particle board, MDF or marine plywood? What hardware will be used? Etc etc.

Don’t go with a contractor that cannot give you the above info. Ask for a proposal with scope of work, design and specs, review and then sign-off before starting any work.

@whyneedaname Thanks po for this. They did gave breakdown of the costings, with descriptions of the materials (but not very detailed pa). But I guess I just want validation if the pricing is not too crazy or reasonable lng for kitchen of that size.

@whyneedaname 💯 agree. Ask for the design and detailed breakdown. Baka pala hindi mo din gusto ung design nila di ba?

Also, sa breakdown, baka pwede mong icheck ung price ng sink, faucet, dish organizer, etc. Usually mahal ang presyo nila dun and you can actually find cheaper alternatives in CW Home Depot or even in Binondo.

Lastly, icheck mong maigi ung fine print ng contract nila. Ung iba kasi gusto 100% fully paid na bago pa gawin ung kitchen. Never ever settle for that. As much as possible, ask for 50% down payment and 50% upon completion. Para may leverage ka pa din in case may di ka gusto sa gawa nila i.e. hindi functional yung isang ilaw, hindi soft closing ung cabinet kahit un ung nasa contract, etc.

Good luck OP!

@robbvii Hi architect here! general rule of thumb for modular kitchen is about 25,000php / linear meter (included accessories, carcass & finishes) + countertop cost & appliances. If you are on a budget I suggest try to explore for aluminum kitchen cabinet, these are cost effective and more sturdy than the regular modular cabinet. hope this help and goodluck to your renovation!

@robbvii Kitchen renovation prices can be really tricky depending on your maker of modular furniture. There are times when a set-up can be 80% similar but the price difference is double.

Personally, I think 300k can be lessened further. Just keep on canvasing. Show exactly the same design and get prices from at least 5 makers.

@robbvii Be careful lang din pag sobrang baba na ng pricing,baka titipirin ka na sa materials,okay na ang ganyang pricing basta marine laminated plywood lahat ng gagamitin,double check nalang sa materials lalo na at naka edgeband na yan lahat paikot,d mo na kita ang loob,madami akong napasukan na company at marine plywood ang pinopropose pero dinadala sa client particle board haha,di naman lahat pero ingat pdin. .doon mo tignan sa paglalagyan ng concealed hinge ng door.

@robbvii Mine cost 500k, I used blum hardware, and moisture resistant boards. It's L Shaped, has a center island and a full sized cabinet. This was pre-pandemic. It's probably higher now.

I think Ikea would get the best value. Siguro kaya 150-200k lang.