linav

I currently am sitting on a IBKR port spread of 10% vusa (for the gleaming hope DD is eradicated). 30% JAM, 20% Brk.b, and a small hundred quid in JNJ. Very small portfolio but I'm just testing the waters to see what I like. Sold my stake in FCIT. Wasn't too happy with it for the last 3 months.
The rest is cash in euro GBP USD.

The port is sitting at 25%
The bank account is sitting at 35% in current and 35% in a low interest savings (rainy day).

The rest is just cash on my revolut and a small smidge of crypto on metamask.

The portfolio isnt doing as nicely. FCIT played downhill on all my recent brk.b/JnJ earnings. And I'm considering just purchasing individual stocks rather than investment funds. Whats some good positions to invest long term in Ireland ? Other than property.

Also... Should I move to degiro ? Is the commission's lower ? My commissions are like 3 euros + 0.012% on every trade.

@linav I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. And I fear - you might not either! I'm not saying that to be mean - just it's very difficult to follow.

Am I right in saying you have an account with IBKR and have bought into a few funds (you don't saying how much money, but its sounds very little, and your precentages don't add up to 100) and you have already bailed out of one after a few months because it went down in value? And you are now looking to change to purchasing stocks with a different broker?

If that is correct, then I probably wouldn't recomend direct stock purchases either as you will only have a similar experience.

If you do go down the stock market route then, yes, DeGiro is very good and cheap. But you should do some homework first.

At an absolute, stick the the 3 golden rules
  1. Diversify, diversify, diversify (ideally 15-20 stocks to begin with)
  2. Time in the market, not timing the market (you certainly don't panic when some is in the red after 3 months. In fact, being in the red may even signal that you should buy more. Stock Market investment is for medium-long term. Short term buying/selling is another word for gambling - you are "betting" on an event over a specific period of time)
  3. Stick to Blue-chip stocks in companies that you understand (and have done some basic research into the market consensus as to their projected growth/share price etc)
As well as the above, bear in mind fees and stamp duty. I would recommend sticking with stocks traded on US Stock exchange (cheapest, which is essential for small holdings)

@captainfarkus sorry the percentages dont match up on the port and bank, i mean 60% of the port is invested, the rest is cash on the port. and as for bank thats 70% of my take home. with 25% in my port and 5% in my revolute for lunch money lol.

The fcit bail was just a decision based on my poor understanding of what some of holdings were. FCIT was something i completely fumbled and did barely any research on..... the other four investments are actaully stuff ive researched and want to continue with .

Ive started with looking into blue chips and successful giants with my first stake in JnJ because im currently a contracted worker and see the success up front. Im just now wondering do i go single stock route or just up my investments into brk.b and jam since they are alrightly diversified.

@linav By port, you mean portfolio?

If so, stop using that word.

Either pick JAM and/or brk.b and/or some single stocks.

JAM and brk.b will have large overlaps.

So understand your underlying portfolio.

You have to hold for at least a couple of years, selling while in the red on good investments is realising your losses.

FCIT is a decent investment, but you need to hold it.

If you want passive investment, then JAM or FCIT or VWCE is the way to go.

Buy them monthly or quarterly and record all purchases in a spreadsheet, so you can calculate tax.

Put in what you can afford and don't need for the next 3-5 years minimum. So if you are saving for a house deposit, then I would keep it in cash/savings, not investments.