Don't like how Ireland taxes investments? Now's your chance to do something about it!

@kayzforgod I wasn’t aware that Ireland had a similar vehicle as the U.K. SIPP. I had heard of a tax efficient and self directed scheme which was very property focused but nothing which is tilted towards self managed pensions comprising mainly of stocks, shares and bonds. I’ll have a read through the link you sent. Thanks for that.

@gardenlady Will we ever have a scheme similar to Japan's NISA. I know the UK has one too. Invest up to X amount over Y time and all gains are tax free for that fund.

We all need better opportunities for investing and younger people need to learn the importance of investing for future. I fear now I'll retire with 0 to live off of.

@gardenlady I think they need to apply CGT tax consistently across all asset classes. I would also favor removing CGT exemption when selling PPP, if it means other assets like ETF get a fair treatment.

@gardenlady I would encourage everyone to make a submission if at all possible. Even just adding a short note that deemed disposal on distributing funds has to be abolished so that this comes across as a common issue for individual investors.

@gardenlady Can someone clarify - tax on ETF capital gains is 41% but on Investment Trusts (like FCIT) it's only 33%?

If so can you recommend a good IT?

What do you do with eToro gains? Self account on ROS?

@gardenlady I would like to make a submission. If we're all singing off the same hymn sheet it might be taken more seriously.

My knowledge of investing is only miniscule and at the very start of the learning curve.

Is there anyone with experience who could put some of the main points together?

The Irish vs ni etf taxation is ludicrous alright and as many pointed out it is all geared for us investing in the property market.

@gardenlady This is an excellent post, which I’ve just stumbled upon. Great to see that a consultation is out on this issue, and hopefully the people behind it are starting to accept that taxation rate and policy (DD) of ETFs (and investments generally) for Irish retail investors are sickeningly punitive. I’ll definitely be making a submission. Thanks for the post!

@gardenlady I’m delighted I found this post! Has there been a submission template generated that everyone agrees on?? I’ve created my account and ready to submit but I’ve to be honest, i haven’t a notion as to what to submit!!

@gardenlady The absolute myth that Ireland is a "low tax country" needs to be put to rest, once and for all. For people working the 9-5 or trying to get ahead, it's far from it. Once you look past Europe, in particular, you find that Ireland's tax regime is nothing short of punitive.