How do I get my kicker?

lifeseeker

• I'm a currently drilling member of the Iowa National Guard. I am currently receiving the standard 1606 GI bill rate of $362 (or $365 I'm not sure if it goes up or stays what it what it was when I applied.)
  • I have in my contract a G.I. Bill "Kicker," but I'm not sure how to get it. I've talked to my school Veterans Finance person, and she said that she wasnt involved in that, I called my state education, and they said I have to contact the VA about it.
  • So thats where I am. I tried to sign in to W.A.V.E. but could't. I called the W.A.V.E. hotline to check in for the month, but I'm still not getting my kicker. I'll try calling the G.I. Bill hotline tomorrow.
Anyone have experience with getting your kicker?

@lifeseeker /@millenniumforce is totally correct. The VA needs copies of the paperwork from your enlistment contract showing that your kicker is part of your contract. Once they receive this, they will verify this with Guard or Reserve component and start paying you. They will also back pay you for previous months.

Now the lady at your School who told you that it was not part of her job needs to Fucking wake up as this is part of her job and she has this information provided to her by VA - It's in the School Certifying Official Handbook which she apparently has not bothered to read. She should have asked you for a copy of your enlistment contract and mailed it to VA for you.

@skyykatt This is exactly what I needed. So should I print out a copy of my contract, put it in an envelope and send it to the VA office? If so directed towards who? I'm in the district run by the St.Louis office I beleive.

@lifeseeker Yes, print out and mail to the address on your letter from VA (top of page center) showing you are eligible. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll hunt it down for you.

@lifeseeker That's it, forgot that CH1606 is still on the older computer systems which put the address on the top left. Your GTG.

And since you are in Iowa, can you drop over to Omaha and slap my cousin for me? I don't go north in the winter, lol. Grew up in NE Nebraska myself. Plainview.

@skyykatt I'll be in Omaha to visit my buddy stationed at Offutt AFB in a few weeks. I don't want to bother finding your cousin, so I'll just slap everybody and eventually I'll get'm. Thanks for your help.

@lifeseeker This may be wrong, but if I remeber right you will get it the very last check for your GI bill. That was for the Active Duty GI Bill though, when it was changed to the Post 9/11 the $1200 would be received at the very end so long as you used all of the benefits. May not be the same for Reservists, but it at least gives you a starting point.

@lifeseeker No, he is totally incorrect - what he is talking about is that Active Duty soldiers who paid $100.00 a month for 12 months choose to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill will get the $1200.00 refunded to them when they use this GI Bill (if they use all 36 months) their final month - has nothing to do with any of the 18 different Kicker programs. So he is guessing but give him a "e" grade for trying.

@lifeseeker If it works the same as active duty, if i am remembering right. Say you have 36 months of exucation benefits, one you use month 36 you will get that $1200 added in there at the end. So if you don't use all of your benefits, you will not see that kicker money.