Girlfriends Parents Giving Us House Loan, I Have Some Q’s

jazzmaniac42

Context: My girlfriends parents are giving us $500,000 as a loan, which we would be paying back to them over time. They are just taking on the role of the bank. This would allow us to purchase a house almost outright.

However, I need to build in some personal assurance into this scenario. Hypothetically, I could pay $X into the house, but if my girlfriend and I broke up, I would not have equity the home, so I need to build this into the situation to make sure I have individual security.

Is this something that is best suited for a contract lawyer? Or who should I speak to?

@jazzmaniac42 You aren't clear in your question. You say they are giving "us" money, if they are loaning it to you and your gf then the house would be in your two names so you would have equal equity. If the house is only going to be in your gf's name then they are giving "her" the money and not you. Completely different situations.

@rudee_m026 Yeah it’s not happening this exact minute, probably next year. But yes, I am certainly going to be getting a lawyer to help iron out the details. I’m certainly aware of how fucked this could get if things were to go South.

@rudee_m026 Exactly, there are way more ways it can go South than not. Great opportunity, and I’m thankful, but I’m certainly not going to be naive about how much of a nightmare it could turn into.

@jazzmaniac42 That sounds like a good ‘ask-a-law-yer’ question. My two cents is the house is mainly hers, and not yours in the case of a breakup. Maybe they want you to marry her. Houses are big.

@jazzmaniac42 Some sort of ‘pre-nup’ lawyer can help handle this. I’m sure with more people not entering traditional marriage but living as common-law marriage, they may have some good advice in this situation.

@jazzmaniac42 Why wouldn't you have equity in the home? If it's your girlfriend, and you're already considered common-law, the home would be considered matrimonial property/asset. Unless otherwise stated in a contract or other law, it's half yours, half hers regardless of the nature of the financing. Heck, if anyone would want a contract, it should be your girlfriend's parents;)

If you are not already considered common-law, well, that's a tad more complicated. Heck, if it was my daughter and the two of you were not legally considered common-law, I would gift my daughter a home so that at least the initial value of the home would not be considered matrimonial property. Once you've lived together for a year in the gifted home, you would only be entitled to your half of the appreciation after you become common-law.

But that's me, if your girfriend's parents are nice enough to loan you a significant chunk of change. Just find a place that costs that much and say "thank you." I think you're over-complicating what appears to be a really nice gesture from the in-laws.