Conquered 1cr milestone today by investing in Mutual funds

@grahameb Only in Mutual funds and structures (market linked debentures). I used to have a mix of equity and debt MF's, but now its almost all equity, across the major categories of funds.

@dave3b I no longer invest in debt funds as the returns under the new tax regime barely beat inflation and are significantly less than an equity mutual fund.

@dave3b A small portion is liquid and I'm not really bothered about returns. A mix of FD, savings account, 2 debt funds (longer and short term).

@densi a newbie question but is something like this possible with investing in nifty 50 index fund? I’m 23, investing 5k/month into sip of nifty 50 index fund, what would you suggest to have a similar growth in my future as you did?

@leras Man this line is so funny. By the way OP, thanks for this, i just started a very small investment in MF, as I get familiar slowly i will increase. Hopefully reach 1 cr in about 7 years if I do this consistently

One of the reasons I got too many funds is to optimise tax.Example - Assuming you invest 10k in Nifty 50 every month. Instead of investing in one fund, invest in 10 different Nifty 50 funds across fund houses each month. Now assuming 5 / 10 of those investments are in loss. Redeem those and re-invest on the same day but in this process STCL is booked. Now square off that STCL with STCG from arbitrage fund at the end of financial year.

My verdict is its not worth the effort.