Bc landlord trying to increase rent by 15 percent! Help!

hushwhisper

I live with my elderly father in Prince George bc as I take care of him and my 2 dogs. It is very hard to find pet friendly places up here. As there are 33 places available on kijiji right now that are pet friendly in a town of 85k people. We have told him for months that we wanted to stay here past April, at one point during tenancy we even paid him rent 6 months in advance. Our rent is 1900 right now plus utilities, he also hit us with a 700 dollar bill a week before Christmas for the year for garbage and waste removal which he showed us our tenancy agreement it wasn’t checked off as included so we paid it.

He wants to increase our rent to 2160 at the end of the 12 month period. I told him that was way more then the allowable 2 percent for 2023, Which he said he has family friends willing to pay that. I looked over our rental agreement.

He didn’t fill out section to D or e of the bc tenancy act which it said is required if he chooses c, which he did.

BEGINNING AND TERM OF THE AGREEMENT (please fill in the dates and times in the This tenancy created by this agreement starts on:
day month
year
Check
A) and continues on a month-to-month basis until ended in accordance with the Act.
A, B or C [I B) and continues on another periodic basis, as specified below, until ended in accordar
• weekly [bi-weekly other:
C) and is for a fixed term ending on day month
year
IF YOU CHOOSE C, CHECK AND COMPLETE D OR E Check
[D) At the end of this time, the tenancy will continue on a month-to-month basis, or anot
D or E
time, unless the tenant gives notice to end tenancy at least one clear month before t
[E) At the end of this time, the tenancy is ended and the tenant must vacate the renta This requirement is only permitted in circumstances prescribed under section Residential Tenancy Regulation, or if this is a sublease agreement as defined
Reason tenant must vacate (required):
Residential Tenancy Regulation section number (if applicable):
* If you choose E, both the landlord and tenant must initial here
Landlord's
misions
The tenant must move out on or before the last day of the tenancy.

So nothing after c was filled out he didn’t pick out an option for either D or e or sign it. We are very stressed out as my elderly father is not well health wise. What can we do? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you Reddit.

*now he’s asking how much we are willing to pay and that he wanted us to stay but prices are too high

@hushwhisper You don't have to do anything. The agreement defaults to month-to-month after expiration. He'll have to go through RTB to evict you, and only if he's moving himself or his direct family in. Make him go through RTB even if he claims that to be the case

@hushwhisper First, /r/legaladvicecanada is a better sub for this

Second, the landlord can’t do any of that. No is a complete sentence. You can apply for a hearing at the RTB if they won’t back down.

@hushwhisper Have you had an open conversation with your Dad regarding his health, care and living situation? It sounds as though he is strapped financially if he is having you pay the city utilities. Does the house that you live in have a separate suite or are you all living together?

You are in a tough situation, but good for you for stepping up to help him out.

@rasheed79 He’s not in a good financial situation. I actually moved him to bc to come live with me last march from Winnipeg after his last heart attack because a doctor had told him he needs to be living with somebody at this point. So I took time off work. Packed up all his belongings and gave away what he wouldn’t be bringing. Drove him out here. It has no separate suite we have 3 bedrooms he lives in one of them i think the place is about 1000 sq feet. And thank you for the kind words. He doesn’t really have anybody else to help him. And he took care of me for how many years so I mine as well do the return that as well. I am 30 he is 73.

@resjudicata It’s also 13 percent higher then is legally allowed in the province of bc for 2023 lol. We also are dealing with inflation and interest as renters, groceries, gas, my line of credit interest has gone up 4 percent. I have gotten no raise, yet I am still dealing with it.