Bank is offering 4.6% APY - should I park $220k my savings in there?

@mommajulesberry It all depends on your taste for risk. I am thinking that usually people plan to retire in their 60s but most people never make it as long as they plan to. A lot of people are let go and can't find another good job in their 50s, or they become disabled. So I am a little more conservative there. But really, everyone has to think about their own personal situation and tolerance for risk. Higher could be OK then.

@jespy Buy USFR. Short term treasury bills. 5.40%. Dividends every month. No state and local income tax. Better than HYSA (safer and higher yield and no state income tax).

But honest answer is a AAA CLO ETF like JAAA which is 6.5% yield. Dividends every month. Fully taxed, but should be higher yield than USFR in most cases. In last 30 years, there has been zero defaults of AAA CLO. People in the business consider it safer than US treasuries since it cannot be downgraded.

@roann People usually don't have expenses with this exact amount. In most cases expenses are either smaller or larger than that.

OP also mentioned that 12 months comes from promotional email and not because they NEED money in 12 months.

@roann OP hasn't said that they are planning to get mortgage soon. If so, they should definitely use HISA.

But on the other hand, houses correlate with stock market, so if snp500 decreases, houses will likely also decrease. So risk is actually smaller than it looks at first glance.

@jespy That's not good since it's only a year promotional and you can do better at other banks like Lending Club is 5%.

But if these are your savings for long term and you won't be using the money for at least 5-10 years then you're better off investing it in an S&P 500 index fund. Yes it's volatile but earns an average of 10% over a longer term so it's ideal for retirement savings.