Bank is offering 4.6% APY - should I park $220k my savings in there?

@jespy I use Vanguard, but Reddit likes Vanguard, Fidelity, or Charles Schwab. All are well trusted investment firms with access to very low cost index funds. VTSAX is a total US index fund and VTWAX is a total World index fund. Both are inherently diversified being a fund comprised of all US/World stocks, so you just pick whether you want US or World exposure, buy the single index fund, and hold it until retirement (or some other date beyond 5-10 years). S&P500 would be VFIAX and can be a little more aggressive than the total stock market, but also may or may not perform as well. The US/World are going to be the safer bets. Fidelity or Charles Schwab are each going to have their own funds that are identical, you'd find them by searching google for "Fidelity total US index fund" for example.

@christianchurches Thank you!!! I’ve been looking for this info for Months! That and the exact how-to. I guess Vanguard/Fidelity, etc. Is an app you can download? At 45 I have 10-15+ years till retirement and not a lot of money to invest… Just wondering how worth it it is at this point (have a 403b, Roth and trad plus HYSA, and looking at a nice raise that may enable maxing out all. Hubs has pension FSA and annuity, so we will be fine as soon as he is 62).

@jespy Gotcha. Then you’re doing the right thing. Look into money market funds. They pay higher interest than most HYSAs (VUSXX is 5.28%), are effectively zero risk, and you save on taxes on the interest which is why I use them for an emergency fund over a HYSA.

Also, look at the Bogleheads subreddit. I wasn’t for a second considering suggesting you buy individual stocks. Read up on low-cost index funds that you set and forget until retirement like VTI and VOO.

@bucky88 I just did some research and found out that Capital One is offering 5.10% for 10 months. That actually works for me so I just signed up! I don't think I can get a better rate than 5.10% - I just don't think the feds will raise that any higher. Or will they? Thoughts?

As for bonds and stocks, I think I will look into that once I have closed on this property. Just don't have enough liquid cash flow right now to go for the long term / bigger picture.

@jespy That's an awesome rate for a HYSA. The fed has been toying with reducing the rate, but they keep stalling it because inflations has been remaining high. It's why a lot of people lost money in the stock market on Thursday and Friday.

@bucky88 I noticed this! It was bonkers! I freaked a bit. I hate the term “toying” because it implies that they’re playing with our collective futures. But call a spade a spade I suppose…

@jespy That's an awesome rate for a HYSA, congratulations!

The fed has been toying with reducing the rate, but they keep stalling because inflation has been remaining high. It's why a lot of people lost money in the stock market on Thursday and Friday.

@jespy Agree with parking it for short term use but for long term INVEST - Set it and forget it in an index fund with dollar cost averaging read JL Collins book a simple path to wealth

@muel57 Thanks. Im only considering short term for now but depending on the mortgage rates by then, if it makes sense then it may make sense to use only partial funds, get a mortgage and invest in the rest. I just ordered the book now - looking forward to reading it!

@jespy I’m not familiar. I personally prefer using the major brokerages (Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab) which all have similar, overlapping money market funds. Is State Bank of Texas offering a certificate of deposit (CD) at 5.4% for something like 12 months? If so, assuming they’re FDIC insured, and you don’t need the money for a year—some CDs have early withdrawal penalties—then this is a great choice.

@jespy That’s a lot of money to be sitting in savings instead of retirement accounts… but if you want to keep it in savings to keep it liquid then yea do the 4.6% it’s close to the highest in the market right now, which is approx. 5%

@jespy You will regret not investing in stocks as you get older. Your 200K might be doubled already if you had invested it. You can choose to keep ignoring the markets, but just know, reading one book will give you the knowledge and courage to branch out. The book is by JL Collins, called The Simple Path to Wealth. It’s not a scam or a get rich quick scheme. It’s a very simple path to basically “buying the market”. So as long as capitalism survives, it is probably going to be a winner.

@jespy Investing not trading. Dont play with your money and just walk the standard etf way.
But a house is also a good investment and gives you a better feeling

@jespy Yes, you are exactly right that putting the money in a high yield savings account at 4.6% interest is much better than what you have now. But if you have to tie up your savings for a full year to get the rate, you could just buy a CD instead and get even higher interest. (There is probably a higher penalty if you pull your money out early with a CD.)

For terms of 1 year, CDs are still yielding more than government bonds. For longer periods, I think that bonds have caught up by now. Check the rates to confirm.

BUT - -with $220k, you really should be in a diversified portfolio of stocks + bonds + cash, ESPECIALLY if you are young and have many years to wait out any stock market volatility. Generally speaking, after you have stashed an emergency fund in a high yield savings account (one having no withdrawal penalty), you should invest the rest.

Here are some GENERAL rules of thumb (but keep in mind that everyone's situation and financial responsibilities are different, so your mileage may vary. . . by quite a lot . . . so be careful)

if you are in your 20s: emergency fund should be 3 - 6 months of living expenses and the rest should be invested. You should start saving for retirement outside your 401k, and invest that money at something like 80/20 stock/bond. You have many years to recover from any stock losses, PROVIDED you have the discipline to keep the money invested. If you are saving for a house or something and you will need part of this money in, say, 3-6 years -- invest that part more like 30/70 stock/bond or even 20/80. You should have both: a retirement fund outside your 401k and a fund for shorter term goals like a house. Don't use the money in your retirement fund to pay for a house.

in 30s: 6-12 months emergency fund & 70/30 stock/bond for retirement investments

in 40s: 9 - 18 months emergency fund and 70/30 or 60/40 for retirement investments depending on your financial situation and your taste for risk

in 50s: 1-3 years emergency fund (in case you lose your work income. Lots of people get laid off in their fifties). One year should be in high yield savings with no restrictions on withdrawals. The other 2 years can be in CDs or short term bond funds to capture higher interest rates. 60/40 for retirement investments

in 60s: 3-5 years emergency fund. 1-2 years in HY savings, 3-4 years in CDs or short term bond funds or individual bonds, and 60/40 or 50/50 for investments that will fund your later old age

I would suggest starting with some ETFs like an S&P 500 ETF for stocks and a medium-term bond fund for bonds. As your wealth increases, add a small company ETF and an international company ETF. If you are holding the bonds in a taxable account, not a 401K, consider buying muni bond funds because the income they generate will be tax-free. The yield will be lower. You have to calculate whether the tax savings makes up for the lower yield. The answer depends on your income and tax bracket. For stocks in a taxable account, choose ETFs, not mutual funds and -- in my opinion -- not individual stocks. Buy the whole market, it is much less risky.

Good luck!