Am I getting a fair offer for my total loss auto claim? Looking for some advice

alysia

I have Travelers insurance and I’m located in Maryland. I totaled my car from hitting a deer and I want to make sure I’m getting a fair value for my car.

Travelers originally offered me $8,100 (because car prices are ridiculous here), but I provided receipts for 2 new tires that I got 11 days before the accident and a new rebuilt transmission that was installed in 2020 for $3,550.

The transmission has about 45,000 miles on it and my car has a total of 136,255 (2014 Nissan Sentra SV). With those receipts, they offered me an additional $300 which just didn’t seem fair.

I contacted the shop I got the transmission from and he said my transmission is going for $4,000 right now (more than I originally paid), and he said that I should ask for no less that half of what I paid ($1,775).

Should I ask for more or just stick with their offer? $8,100 is a lot of money, but with inflation, I’m wondering if it’s the right amount. Any advice would help! Thank you in advance!

@alysia You're not going to get half of what you paid. Those things are maintainence and only as pennies on the dollar as far as value. Your car is expected to have acceptable tires and a working tranny.