[virginia] OK GUYS I NEED ANSWERS!!!

maduere

If I am on regular UI, not pua or any of those other ones. Will my benefits still be extended for the new 11 weeks?? Because on the VEC website it says that people with pua, p e u c, and f p e c will be extended but it says nothing for the people on regular UI so I don't understand if everyone gets extended or do I have to reapply for benefits and hope that its retroactive again!?!? SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!

@jamesdonahueusa I filed my week for this past Sunday on the VEC website. I'm on regular UI so I've never filed on gov to go but now it's telling me that I have to start filing a go to go so I don't know if it's going to pop up when next week comes to file or what. It'd be so much easier if they had somebody that you could actually talk to and get your answers from. You have to just start calling random VECs

@maduere Ok I will. They released something on the news on nbc12. But it doesn’t explain anything at all. The guy just said to continue to file your weeks. But if they aren’t popping up how are we suppose to file them

@maduere I’m a little confused. I’m on PUEC and I know I’m getting extended for 11 weeks. The VEC website says that, “All of the CARES Act unemployment compensation programs are extended for 11 weeks through March 13, 2021. These include: PUA, PEUC, & FPUC. The additional FPUC benefit is $300 per week, as opposed to $600 per week under the original CARES Act provisions”
So will I be getting the $300 or not?

@maduere If you’re really only collecting UI (those initial 26 weeks), you’ll have to finish those weeks first. Just make sure you’re on UI and not PEUC. The PEUC extension is done automatically in a lot of states and some people don’t even know they’re on it. So I’ll assume you’re still on UI like your post said.

So you do have to finish your UI weeks first. However you will get the added boost each week for 11 weeks from 12/27 - 3/13. If you exhaust your UI claim before April 4, you’ll then be put on the PEUC extension but will only be able to collect those benefits until April 4 when PEUC expires (any remaining claim balance will not be paid). So it just depends how far along you are in your claim. And whether you’ll be on UI or PEUC during the weeks of 12/27 - 3/13, the boost will be applied.

Also this is for everyone; while we do have the added 11 weeks so benefits have been extended, the benefit year has not. So you can’t really just add 11 weeks to everyone’s claims because benefits will likely go past your claim expiration (52 weeks). With this extension, it’s done in a way where everyone can receive an equal amount of benefits/benefit weeks but within the benefit year (52/59 weeks depending on state).

So do not file a new claim. Just continue to certify and collect benefits. Depending on when your state implements the changes, you’ll eventually start getting the FPUC 300$/week boost starting from 12/27 (so it may be retroactive if you don’t get it by next certification). Once you exhaust UI, you can collect on PEUC until April 4. Because you filed “late”, you won’t be eligible to collect all 24 weeks of PEUC that’s offered. However the future is uncertain and there may be other extensions available in the future. Just know that you’ll be covered with benefits until April 4! Happy New Year to you🎉

@sajamor Yes I'm on regular ui andi exhausted my benefits but not my benefit year. So do I keep filing and I'll only get the 300 or will I get my regular unemployment amount as well?

@maduere Wait so you’ve exhausted UI already? When? The benefit year is 52 weeks while UI is only 26 weeks. So you’ll always exhaust UI long before your claim ends. You cannot file a new claim until your benefit year ends (1 year from when you filed).

So if you just exhausted those 26 weeks of UI, you’ll be put on PEUC then. On PEUC, you’ll get your WBA (weekly benefit amount) that you’re getting on UI PLUS 300$/week for 11 weeks until 3/13. After that, since you’re just starting PEUC, you’ll have 2 more weeks of just the benefits, the WBA, for 2 weeks until PEUC expires on April 4. You don’t need to do anything.

@sajamor I exhausted my benefits the week before last. I tried to file this past Sunday and they let me file but the day that I usually get my payment nothing showed up. So that would be the 26th

@maduere That’s because PEUC expired on 12/26. I don’t know why you haven’t been paid for the 2 weeks since your UI exhausted though, because PEUC is still offered until then. I’m going to assume it’s because of all the changes. I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Your state has gone ahead and filed a PEUC claim on your behalf after UI ended. So now you’re on PEUC. Wait for the system to update. You’ll get an additional 11 weeks of benefit added to your claim balance. And after that, you’ll start receiving your benefits AND the boost. The boost will likely come at a different time or just a separate payment. Your claim is fine:) Just wait for any updates on your/messages/texts/emails from EDD. Sometimes when they transition to PEUC, there can be a lag, especially during this time. But you’re definitely qualified and will have your benefits resume soon. If there is a “lapse” or break of benefits, you will get paid retroactively for those 2 weeks of PEUC before 12/26. It’ll just take some time. If you’re really nervous, you can call and ask about those 2 weeks before 12/26, because you should’ve been paid for those. However I’m sure once the system updates, your claim will be fixed. Best of luck:) you’re all good!