Stimulus checks and H&R Block

robinoflocksley

Hello,

I filed my 2019 taxes with H&R block in person with a 'tax professional' before the pandemic. I have already received my federal and state refunds. However, H&R block used their routing number on my 1040 for the direct deposit. I'm guessing they received my refund, pulled their fees from my refund, then direct deposited my portion of my refund to my bank account. My question is, how will this affect me receiving my stimulus check since my actual routing number isn't on my 1040 and that is what the government is using to send the checks. Do I need to make any additional steps, or just wait? Is there even a clear answer for this yet? Thanks reddit.

Update: I got my $1200 direct deposit today straight to my bank account

@robinoflocksley You should be totally fine but you could call one or the other to verify if you're worried about it. If your refund made it into your bank account then you're good. The IRS has that info in your file.

@robinoflocksley Unfortunately, there is a very good chance that you will receive a paper check. If you check out the HR block Facebook page, as of 4 hours ago, they have yet to know how customers that had their fees taken out of the refund will receive the stimulus check. I am in the same boat.

@sazzigirl I’m not sure what the emerald card is but I know a few people have mentioned that. I got mine direct deposited to my primary bank account today. Hopefully someone with an emerald card can answer your question.

@sazzigirl The Emerald Card is the Debit Card that H&R Block gives you with your anticipation loan when you file your taxes. If you do not choose for your tax refund to be deposited to the Emerald Card, it will go to your bank, but H&R Block sometimes gets the money faster, so this year I chose to have my tax refund go to the Emerald Card. Worst choice ever! I hope that I get my money deposited there, but I have no way of knowing. I was hoping that the Emerald Card was the same as what some people are calling their H&R Block card, but I don't think it is because one person said they don't know what the Emerald Card is and he got his money in his H&R Block card, so who knows! This is SO frustrating! My rent was due yesterday! It's terrible to be in this situation.

@fisha What state are you in please? I am in Illinois and no one knows anything here! A lot of my son's friends have gotten their money already, many of my coworkers as well, but I get my refund through the Emerald Card (or the H&R Block card) and I called their office, they have no clue! The fact that you got it is giving me some hope though. I just wonder what state you're in.

@robinoflocksley so my issue is sort of the same with getting my tax refund on an emerald card deposit from h and r block, so does that mean i won't get a stimulus? just curious why i don't have anything yet and always beleived the emerald card was my direct deposit??

@sazzigirl The Emerald Card is the debit card that H&R Block gives you if you got a refund anticipation loan from them and their bank loaded the money there. You can choose to have the rest of your tax funds deposited to the Emerald Card OR you can give them your bank account information for the IRS to send it directly to your bank. Both are direct deposits, but one belongs to H&R Block and the other to you. Our mistake was in choosing the TAX REFUND to be deposited to that Emerald Card because those bank accounts are temporary. The only comfort is that tax season has been extended this year.