[[Pennsylvania]] self employment v unemployment Q?

@akj I totally agree. And honestly I’m sorry you have to put up with this. What they really need are people and a solid way to get a hold of them. It’s actually an easy fix. I really don’t think they want to fix it.

@sfonoti That would surprise me if they disqualified you for the remainder of your benefits based on one "week" of self-employment work and earnings.

In Colorado (again no idea how PA works), they would have to determine if your self-employment prevents you from being available and actively seeking regular full-time work. In this situation, I don't think it would, so they wouldn't disqualify you based on being self-employed. But since your earnings for the one week were higher than your benefit amount, you wouldn't receive benefits for that one week.

@sfonoti You actually did everything right (aside from trying to get paid under the table, LOL). While Brock is correct that you are supposed to report hours as you work them, not when you get paid, that is not possible in this type of position (I was a legal recruiter previously) because you have NO CLUE if a deal is going to go through that will result in payment. So, if you are working as an independent contractor, you need to be as honest as possible with reporting and sometimes that means you report the income when you receive it. There is simply no other way to do it in this situation.

So, you will report that you work a couple of hours, made $4000 that week and you will have Excessive Earnings that one week and not get benefits. You also will likely trigger an inquiry as to whether you had a new job separation, so, be prepared to watch for that and respond immediately otherwise it WILL affect your benefits going forward.

Let me know if you need clarification. This isn't based specifically on PA law, this is just "the way it works" with UI which is based on federal guidelines.

@kaiser123 Does this apply to the sale of a business? I have an LLC that I recently transferred to someone who is actually generating revenue. I haven't generated any revenue from it in a couple of years. I made the agreement before filing my initial claim. Haven't submitted the transfer to the dept of state yet. I was laid off in November from my W2 job that I was at for 16 months. I listed that I was NOT a business owner in my initial claim, because as I see it, I am not the business owner according to the agreement that will be submitted to PA DoS this week. @peace101