Invest or buy house in cash

@annevdw54 Buy. I would give anything to be able to buy a home. It’s likely never going to be a possibility for us. So that’s my vote.
We are in a situation where renting in the area I have lived in since birth isn’t an option. Where we have spent 2 decades married and setting our roots as a family. But starting over elsewhere also isn’t an option.
Rent increases way faster than income in our experience.

@annevdw54 So I was in your situation and decided on 3. For the simple reason that job security is a myth. There is something absolutely freeing about not worrying about having to keep a roof over my family’s head.

With no mortgage, to “retire” all I have to do is come up with enough passive income/investments to cover our expenses.

@annevdw54 For your situation 3 is is just plain dumb.

1 is most prudent. 2 is great as well. However 2 is safer than 1 since with 1 you have factor in taxes, time spent searching for deals and travel expenses. finding deals online is easy enough but only a fool would buy a property sight unseen. You will have to go to the location and vet the property and people you're dealing with first.

@annevdw54 Option 3 is preferred because your rental payments are after tax, whereas you are not taxed on your use of your own home (in economic terms you pay rent to yourself.)