Help me clarify taxes on day trading

starbright8000

I've done some research on this subreddit and outside (revenue), and I still don't fully understand how taxation would work on day trading.

Let's say in a single day I made this trades:

STOCK
BUY
SELL
P/L

A

B

C

A

B

B

A

D

E

A

X

TOTAL

So the total gain for this day is 132, but it was done with multiple trades on multiple stocks.

How should I pay taxes here? CGT 33% on the total (i.e. 43.56) or on each positive trades?

33%

WINNING

LOSING
-

Should I pay instead income tax at my marginal rate on the final result (yearly? monthly?)

(on that single day would be around 69.96)

In my opinion the Income tax seems to be the easier and fairer: each period (month, year, dunno) I calculate the P/L and pay the income on those. On the other hand, paying 33% on all positive trades (because I cannot offset losses for this short trades) would possibly mean paying taxes even if at the end of the period I would be losing.

Any idea, reference, document?

@starbright8000 You pay CGT on your net gain or loss in the WHOLE year. So if you lost 132 the day after your hypothetical trade - wiping out your whole gain - and never traded again you would have zero CGT.

Don't forget you can deduct trading costs from your net annual capital gain (assuming you make a gain!)

@f41thful1 Do you know what can be classified as a trading cost? For example can I buy trading research and classify that as a cost or pay for a trading service provider?

@jredfox4111 Strictly a trading cost is strictly the unavoidable costs of the trade. So comission, etc.

It excludes the unnecessary costs such as the 100 you spent on the adviser to pick your portfolio, the 20 you spent on books to educate yourself, the cost of the internet connection you used to place your trade, and the 5.50 you spent on the latte to keep yourself awake.

@f41thful1 If the next day everything was reversed with the same stocks I don't think you can offset the losses, 4 week rule. Can anyone confirm ?.

@f41thful1 If the next day everything was reversed with the same stocks I don't think you can offset the losses, 4 week rule. Can anyone confirm ?.

@starbright8000 Hey bud - did you ever figure it out? I can't find any concrete information out there on this either. Starting to think I might just have to fork out the cash and talk to a tax advisor.

@seyi No honestly I haven’t. I am not trading frequently at the moment so it’s not an issue.I have a tax assistant which declared my profits as capital gains but it was all stuff I held for months.