Must I pay tax to Ireland and the USA on US stocks?

@blackshire You can just avoid all this horseshit by not buying on the nasdaq or nyse.

Almost all companies worth their salt are floated on at least one if not 2 European exchanges.

I've noticed a lot of people aren't aware of this and exchange euro into dollars to buy tesla and stuff and then have a tax headache to think about along with fx costs and currency depreciation risk.

Always type the full legal name of the company and check for euro denomination stocks.

The only companies not floated are obscure mining and pharmaceutical or health care companies

If that's your game good luck! You'll need it.

@999forever
You can just avoid all this horseshit by not buying on the nasdaq or nyse.

Greater liquidity usually on those exchanges for US based stocks and the trading hours can be more favourable for some people.

Also a lot of platforms like Degiro seem to incentivise buying there as they charge €0.5 per transaction there as opposed to the €4 they do for quite a few of the European exchanges.

@cwalsh2468 OK firstly, liquidity is absolutely irrelevant for retail traders. Your buying stocks to a max of 250k per transaction. Out of multiple hundreds of millions float. It's nonsense and irrelevant.

Hours could be relevant but unlikely unless you want to start at 14:00. But OK some people might.

As for transaction costs to Europe exchanges. Guess it depends. If you're trading a few times a day could add up. A few times a year you won't miss it and avoid fx costs and related risk which are probably worse.

I stand by it being pointless to trade us exchanges when you have viable options in Europe, unless the stock isn't floated.