Expat from US to Mexico - finance headaches (US address, filing taxes, pay MX tax on DIV/INT?)

worshipnico1

Hello.

We are a US couple, early 50s, and we moved to MX early this year for many reasons, one of the biggest being financial (we are on a tight budget, lean FIRE). We make about $500 usd a month (now, after I left my job) from side hustles and the rest of living expenses are covered from DIV and INT.

Sold the house and cars, kept the sold house address on all financial account - schwab checking/brokerages, fidelity 401k, another 401K, and vanguard IRAs, plus on Chase checking and 2 HYSA (Marcus and Ally), and a small HSA. We don't own anything physical anymore, just financial assets.

We got a traveling mailbox service for all mailing needs, but that address we realized we have to be cautious how we use it with the accounts (only add it to accounts when they specify "mailing address" and not "permanent address", otherwise you run the risk for the account to be shut down). After we added it, we got an email saying that the credit history was updated with this mailing address...

My questions are:

1) Are there just 2 options for expats: lying by keeping our old home address on all accounts vs putting our mexican address on them - and if we do the latter what are the implications?

a) will Chase close us?

b) what about Marcus, Ally?

c) Schwab seems will transition us to Schwab International... Fidelity? Vanguard?

2) Say we continue keeping our USA address. Then can we file non-resident for part of the year so we avoid paying 5% and can we file FEIE, which would mean we were out of country??? Isn't that saying to the Schwabs, vanguards, etc that we were not in USA, which can close our accounts? I know the databases from IRS and from financial institutions may not be linked, but what if they will be 5 yrs from now and we'll be asked questions? Is anybody concerned about this or am I the only paranoid person here?

3) For the DIV (mostly SCHD) and INT (Vanguard Settlement fund VMFXX, Marcus, Ally, tbills) - do we need to pay any Mexican tax on these, assuming we keep our IL address on files? We pay USA tax but people on FB were saying one may need to pay the expat country tax too? Does anybody know from experience, I spend an hour online and can't understand anything I see...

4) Talking about VMFXX, will we even be allowed to hold it if we declare at some point we are non residents in USA? If we are not (being a mutual fund), can we still buy tbills from TreasuryDirect or via Schwab International maybe?

5) This is not a question, just expressing my frustration with the hundreds of thousand of people that move to Mexico and there is no financial heads up or deep dive into implications - all FB, Youtube is filled with stories like "best tacos in city X" and crap like this, barely any discussion about residency etc. I think 95% of people are clueless and as de facto they are keeping their address in USA and hope their accounts won't get closed (I mean how can Schwab not know we live in MX while we use their card at ATMs here every week? Isn't it obvious???). Same with Wise card...

Sorry for the rant and thank you for your input...

@worshipnico1 I'm also a US expat living in Mexico since 2018

You have nothing to gain and plenty to lose by telling any of your banking that you are living full time outside of the US. Maintain a "residence address" with a family member or trusted friend and use your virtual mailbox for a "mailing address". There are some things like new credit cards that the issuers will generally only ship to your "residential address"

I mean how can Schwab not know we live in MX while we use their card at ATMs here every week? Isn't it obvious???

Schwab is my main investment account so I'm a little paranoid of being shut down so I rotate using my Schwab, Betterment, and Sofi debit cards every 4 months or so. I also use a VPN to log on to all my banking

do we need to pay any Mexican tax

The US and Mexico have a tax treaty that prevents double taxation. Generally, any money earned in the US where taxes are paid is not subject to tax in Mexico

@praiselord12356 We've been doing what you are saying and as paranoid as you about Schwab (and all other brokerages).

Great to hear about the US-MX tax treaty, at least on that front we should be ok.

On the other comment you say it is ok to put OH address from family on the account. If I change it on say Schwab will that trigger any "audit" (check) from them to us - or should I just leave the old house address on there for the foreseeable future (but then I have no clue if they send verification letters to that address, or anything else they might send). Would they send important tax info in the mail?

Now I'm realizing that the new people that leave at our former home can get all kinds of financial info on us, OMG! Even though we went paperless on all account, but who knows what the brokerages/banks send out...

@praiselord12356 I thought double taxation meant that the taxes you pay in the US will be applied to the taxes in Mexico and you only pay the difference and visa versa if you file in Mexico the taxes paid there are reduced on any US taxes?

@worshipnico1 I'm living in Mexico as well with residency, working remote, mid 50's and retained my US (CA) mailing address currently.

I almost mirror your exact banking, investment, Schwab, Fidelity, Treasury Direct, etc.

I haven't yet figured out a way to navigate many of the things you described + more, just for starters:

* Not sure if I want to attempt to no longer have a US address and file expat taxes.

* As a self employed 1099 contractor, at this point I'm still required to pay for health insurance in the US or I get penalized.

* I'm rotating the use of my Schwab and Fidelity ATM accounts, but I try to make as few transactions as possible, I know they might shut me down eventually for 100% international use. Not sure if I want to transition to international account versions.

I agree YouTube is a great resource for many things, but not so much on these topics that I can find.

So yeah, you're not alone. Let me know if you find some help out there!

@belle89 Indeed we have very similar experiences - and thank you for sharing, sometimes I feel I'm losing my mind while everybody else in Mx seems to just enjoy the tacos and have no care in the world!

Yes, like you we started keeping track of what card we use - between me and my husband we are switching which month we use which schwab card (hubby's in Nov, mine December), then I also have the fidelity check card which we used for 2 weeks in October to see how it works...so we'll include that in.

Also, I've just returned from a few days in usa to see the kids - made sure I used there every single cc we had, so they get usa usage, plus i used schwab and wise so they see we are not in mx...

it's such a pain to keep track of all this and it feels sooo bad to be lying, but I don't have a clear answer to all these questions so I can't make a change...

I'm doing a bit of tutoring online (not thru a company), so no 1099 for me, but hubby has 1099 from blogging I think...haven't looked into the insurance yet...

@worshipnico1 Wow... So you're complaining about people in YouTube not catering to your particular situation? So selfish of them!
Well, at least you have now an idea for an additional revenue stream. Create that what is missing.

To your questions... Too many and too messy but for starters don't use an address you no longer have access to - that of your former residency. Use that of someone you trust (and with their OK).

I leave the others to more patient redditors.

@lostanlooking Haha... yeah, I guess it's on me :)...

Why are you saying to not keep the old home address? Is it b/ they might send something to that address to check on us?

We have friends in IL that we trust, but they have the same type of accounts... wouldn't that raise a flag to Schwab, Vanguard etc seeing like 4 people (2 couples) on same address?

Would prefer to use family - they are in OH - I could use that address, but would it mess the DIV/INT taxation?