@emmacat Stay away from French cars man. Have a 208, after a polo it’s such a downgrade! Underpowered and thirsty for a turbo small car, I assume it’s because it has 3cyl instead of the 4 in the VDub

@jayesse Hyundai - 7 year 200 000km warranty

You can probably pick up a new Kona Exec (2022 spec
2.0 CVT) for just under R470K iirc there was an advert for them a month or two ago. Or look for a demo. There's a new Kona coming apparently.

Alternatively the entire i20 range except the N-Line is in your price bracket, also new with the 7 year warranty.

@tashie8195 This is the way. Either a Hyundai or a Kia. Same thing really. The Picanto and Rio were both great for the time I drove them. Looks like the Rio has been discounted in South Africa, though. I had no idea.

@jayesse I own the Suzuki Vitara Brezza 1.5 automatic and it is great. Long distance a dream. Wife just got back from a long trip average 16.1km to litre. It is nippy and comfortable. Has the tech we need. Town driving also okay.

@jayesse I have been driving a Toyota Corolla Cross hybrid for the last 1+ year now. Very good economy, get avg about 5.7/L. It might go a bit beyond 450 and come closer to 470 mark .or get the non hybrid version it should be within the budget. It's a damn good car at that price point.

@jayesse Diesel Duster, not sure on the price but very good on fuel and not too sluggish. Decent load space, not sure how you would feel about the looks but the engine is solid

@jayesse I would say more detail is needed here as there are many cars within that budget that all meet different needs.

Do you need a larger vehicle with sufficient cargo space or will a small hatchback suffice?

Do you drive longer distances or do you mostly do stop and go city driving?

Finally do you have a brand preference? A brand you trust or prefer as each brand will come with its own warranty and maintenance plan which could range from 60,000kms/2years up to 120,000kms/5years.

I see many suggestion in the comments but none are coming down to the question of what you will be using the vehicle for as there would be no point if you end up buying something like a Picanto yet you driving over long distances with little to no traffic.

@jayesse The BAIC Beijing X55. Decent fuel economy, ground clearance, infotainment, and you won't t get more power (1.5-litre turbo petrol engine with 130 kW and 305 Nm) for the price. Good safety features too. 2023 car of the year.

@jayesse Renault duster, very low on Desiel consumption. Did a return trip to JHB and DBN with 1 tank. Also, they are releasing new model soon.
I wouldn't recommend any other Renault, though.

KIA is alright. Good resell, as people tend to keep their KIAs.
Toyota is a must-have, but it has high risk.

@jayesse Hey I’d advise that u can get a new car but stay away from haval and cherry the resale value depreciates rapid and within a year u could lose close to 100k in value 🫡

@passiongirl So I have been searching around, mainly out of curiosity, and I see that the second hand Havals have not dropped considerably in value from new ones. Is the narrative of low resale value in Havals backed by evidence? This is a serious question out of curiosity.

@sharrylee I had a friend with a cherry and he got his brand new and now when he wants resale value from dealer and that’s what they told him how much he would get for it … but his was a bigger model