jayesse

Hi everyone. I’m looking for a car - new not second hand - that’s under R450 000. It should have decent technological features, good fuel economy and should look good. Any recommendations appreciated.

@jayesse I drove a Mazda3 2021 for a year it was amazing. So sad when I had to sell. Would recommend to test drive it, Mazda is pretty good bang for your buck and tries to market themselves as luxury adjacent.

Don’t think you’ll get top of the range but I think the base trim is within 450k new

@tanuki_elex Can confirm , I just purchased the Kia Seltos 1.5 CRDI A/T - amazingly fuel efficient, holds steady on the roads and quite awesome to drive. It’s comfortable and has really nice features as well.

@jayesse I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara GLX. 20kms/l and pretty much kitted with everything tech wise.

Can also look at the Fronx.

Or on the lower end, the Swift.

@vladio1 Apologies for chiming in again, my fiance and I are considering one at the end of the year, but I'm nervous about the engine. Have you done any long trips? I would assume revs are quite high at 120km/h. Does it bother you? How is overtaking? Again, sorry for badgering you, you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

@dangermouse72 No worries. We just came back from a 600km trip over the long weekend. Yes, my only real gripe is that an extra gear (6th) would've been great, if only to keep the engine revs down at higher speed. At 120kms the revs sit at around 3k. But, the "allgrip" top spec model does have a 6spd auto, not sure of engine size.

Overtaking is fine. Sure, it takes a bit of planning on occasion, but have not had any issues. It's definitely not a zippy car, but also doesn't sell itself to be. In terms of value for money, I could not find anything that beats it.

@vladio1 I got the suzuki XL6 in October. I went with the automatic. I have done a few long trips, it goes well. I should have taken the manual. I'm happy with it. It was R340 000 for a 6 seater.

@jayesse I drive a Suzuki Swift GLX 2023 model, VERY happy, I average 16km/l so very fuel affiecient, can get top range model for around 280k brand new.

If you want a bit bigger.. You can go Suzuki Vitara / Vitara Brezza,, both excellent and Suzuki is doing incredible here in SA at the moment.

@jayesse I’m waiting for the new Corsa coming out middle of year, after 3 polos - I want change. Looks real sexy too 😎 Also Europe’s car of the year 2023.