Best broker for long term investment?

@donkick Buying small amounts might be reasonable.
However.. did you realize the fee for selling later, let’s say a five digit amount?
Just checked: selling a 15k etf is more than 100.-

Even SQ is way cheaper from my point of view.

@elliot123 Just invest in VWRL instead. Ok, VT has lower fees, but you pay higher witholding taxes on the distribution as VT is US-domiciled.

I explain that in more detail:
- When a security is domiciled in the US, then you pay 30% witholding tax on the distribution. On a distribution of 2% that makes 0.6% taxes
- When a security is domiciled in Ireland, then you only pay 15% witholding tax. That makes taxes of 0,3%.
- When an ETF is domiciled in Ireland and synthetic you pay no witholding taxes.

Result:
- The difference in management fees BEFORE taxes is 0,15% in favor of VT. (VT: 0,07% / VWRL: 0,22%).
- The difference in fees AFTER taxes is approximately 0,15% in favor of VWRL. (VT: 0,67% / VWRL: 0,52%).

(For simplicity, the distribution was rounded to 2% for both securities)

@ardentbeliever Seriously? Worst company my pal ever had the misfortune of doing business with. They charged double withholding tax on US stocks even he filled out all the paperwork correctly, they charged 20-100 times what IB does for currency exchange and broke almost any promise they made. They sent misleading information about US ETFs stating they are no longer allowed for Swiss citizen (which is simply a lie). Many types of transactions can only be done via phone(!). Opening an account took months.

Wouldn't touch them with gloves.