US stock brokerage fee comparison of several popular brokerages

georgiew

Was making a compilation of US brokerage fees now that Rakuten Trade has officially enabled their US trading feature. Thought to share with the community here. The below commission minimum totals are in USD (in the case of Rakuten trade, converted from MYR), and includes stamp duty and clearance fees in its minimum amounts (for RakutenTrade, the stamp duty for the RM10k tier and RM999 tier have been multiplied accordingly).

IBKRUS - "Tiered"0.351.46USD 0.0035 per share
US - "Fixed"14.18USD 0.005 per share
UK - "Tiered"1.928.020.050% of order sizeUSD-denominated shares listed on LSE
UK - "Fixed"416.71USD 8000 order sizeUSD-denominated shares listed on LSE, IBKR SmartRouting.
TradeStation GlobalUS1.506.27USD 0.007 per share
UK2.048.510.12% of order sizeUSD-denominated shares listed on LSE
Tiger BrokersUS2.018.41USD 0.005 per share
MIDFUS - "Investor USD1000"10.3843.37USD 0.015 per share of order more than USD 1000Stamp duty component is per RM1000.
US - "Trader"5.3822.48USD 0.01 per share of order more than USD 1000Stamp duty component is per RM1000.
FSMOneUS - "Category A" (Stocks)9.1838.350.080% of order sizeStamp duty component is per RM1000.
US - "Category B" (ETF)9.0637.850.080% of order sizeStamp duty component is per RM1000.
RakutenTradeUS - Stocks (

Brokerage
Type
Total min comm per order (USD)
MYR equivalent
Min. Comm Treshold
Notes

@georgiew I use Schwab International, they don’t charge a commission per trade but have a $25k or RM100k minimum balance.

I had TradeStation previously, they charged me $5 per trade, let me look into it and see what’s going on.

@georgiew Unpopular way to invest in some US Stocks and ETFs through DeFi:

Mirror Protocol

Buy stablecoins on Terra Station Wallet and connect the wallet to Mirror Protocol.

@resjudicata Even better is you can stake the mAssets and earn staking rewards.

My problem with Mirror/Terra in general is that the gas is a % of the transaction amount. Also you can only buy mAssets during trading hours, kinda defeats the purpose of tokenisation. The kicker is your mAssets will not yield "real world" dividends, because it is a derivative and you do not hold the underlying assets.

@jmarie19681 All $0 commissions.

The convenience that IBKR/TIGR has over the ones you listed is that IBKR/TIGR accepts deposits in SGD, which is accessible to us Malaysians via CIMB SG. All others only do USD deposits and that requires a US local bank account, or wire transfer from our local bank which eats a lot of fees. They also have a deposit/withdrawal fee in some form.

@georgiew If inclusive of all miscellaneous fees (foreign transfer from MYR to SGD + currency conversion from SGD to USD in IBKR) to fund my IBKR account ,will it still be cheaper than Rakuten Trade despite IBKR having super low brokerage fees?