Purchase a second hand iPhone v a new one

artg

Need a new phone and was thinking of buying a second hand iPhone and sim only deal. I’d save about £600 I think.
Are there any concerns about buying a used iPhone; someone could have installed malware on the used phone to extract my data is my main concern

@artg Nobody is installing malware on an iPhone to get your data

What you need to worry about is getting a correct UK model (you have to find the actual mode number to determine which region it’s designed to operate in) and whether it has had water damage, got too hot and ruined the battery or has physical damage no easily seen.

My last two purchases came from eBay. iPhone 11 Pro Max advertised with “small scratch on screen” was quite a big scratch, but a glass screen protector rendered that entirely invisible. Been using it to this day. Saved over 30% off retail and that was within 2 weeks of release.

@artg Picked up an iPhone X for £130 the other day from a local guy on Facebook. He delivered it within 20 mins, didn’t have a mark on it, all in the box etc. The seller was an old guy who just got offered an upgrade. I see absolutely no point in spending £1000+ for the latest phone.

Although don’t be a dick like me an drop it the same evening because I was stupid enough to use it before my phone case arrived the next day. Cracked the screen and even as I type this I see it and curse myself for being a bell end.

@lurkingg A girl at my work did that. Working in a supermarket pulling cages in a warehouse is not the place for an unprotected phone. It’s why I bought screens and cases before my new one arrived.

@artg I used “Backmarket” after a number of friends had success with it. I got a 12 Pro for ~£350 less than new, and as far as I can see it’s in perfect condition. Still is.

Money was one aspect, but a bigger factor for me is the reuse of otherwise throwaway tech. The crap we throw away really bothers me when there are literally billions of people who’d love to have access to it. Going to the tip really pees me off.

The screen and camera have been replaced, but are marked in the iOS settings app as “genuine Apple replacements”. They work perfectly and the photos are damn good so I don’t care either way.

My guess is someone dropped this thing, it got swapped as a warranty replacement, and has been refurbed and landed with me.

I was also heavily into Jailbreaking around 10 years ago as I used to code mods. Any side-loaded stuff would be wiped upon factory reset on iOS. Even a simple iOS upgrade would break it. Nothing to worry about.

@blissauto +1 for Backmarket. Currently using a Xperia 1 III (last year's flagship model) for £650, whereas a brand new one would be £1,200!

I opted for the "fair" description for the current quality of the phone and it's genuinely undistinguishable from brand new.

@wale1 Tbf the Xperia 1 series is basically overpriced. I've got the 5 II and it was far better value, couldn't really see what improvements there were tbh and it was even missing some features despite the higher price.