not at-fault in an accident - what options do i have?

urbi123

I am in WA state and had a brand new tesla which i t-b_o_n_ed into another driver. the driver has a limit of 25k for property damage and i didn't have any collision insurance for property damage (i swear i was going to set it up).

The adjustor gave an estimate of 12k to fix, however i know tesla will come up with a ridiculous amount later (no appointments for atleast 4 months :( )

I ended up with a dislocated thumb cos the airbags deployed.

how do i get whole in this situation?

Should i just take the 25k settlement the at-fault party will give?

@urbi123 Yup. No collision means you’re at the mercy at whatever they offer you. Which is $12k at this moment

if the valid damages are higher than $12k once they start repairs, Tesla will send a request for additional funds to the insurer

@mjb048 Yikes. They offered a 25k settlement, however I am not sure if it's enough given that the loss is going to be so much more (plus I got a dislocated thumb from the accident). Would I be able to maximize my compensation if I was injured?

@urbi123 your injuries are usually settled separately from the vehicle damages itself. your post is unclear if that’s what they’re offering

@mjb048 They were offering no medical and suggested I go through my insurance for it. 25k for property damage and nothing else was the deal.

@raphacam Right now they are paying $12k which is the original est. Maybe the repairs gets it to $20k. Still $5k available if he makes a demand for DV and LOU.

@mmx "Yikes. They offered a 25k settlement, however I am not sure if it's enough given that the loss is going to be so much more (plus I got a dislocated thumb from the accident). Would I be able to maximize my compensation if I was injured?"

11 hours ago.

@mmx Yes. That's also why I felt 25k settlement offer may not cut it. I can hire an injury lawyer for my case, but not sure how/if they can help with these numbers .

@urbi123 Your confusing coverage here. Limit for property damage is $25k, that’s it, no more.

You’ve said there’s no coverage for BI in another post, so if that’s true, hiring an attorney isn’t going to magically produce BI on the at fault policy.

I think you need to get whatever offer you have in writing so you know what you’re actually getting.

@mmx They said the property damage settlement is 25k and for bodily injury I need to reach out to my insurance and my insurance will bill the at-fault person's insurance.

@urbi123 If that is the policy limit, that is all you can get from the insurance. Unless the person that hit you has other assets you are done at that point.

@mmx They mentioned that's 25k is their policy limit. But this was their first offer and wasn't in writing to me. So idk if they could be low-balling me.

The other person may have assets, how do I still get even if they do? Still looking for ideas to be whole again financially.