Totaled my new Tesla Y with minimum insurance. What happens

@mjb048 I tried helping family with their insurance and was told "Im a know it all". I listened to them get a quote over the phone and just asked for all of the cheapest options possible without understanding it. Kills my soul.

@silverfanng family member is an independent agency owner. she WILL NOT write these cheap as you can go policies. saves a headache downstream when that accident/fire occurs.

@ngoc1993 My family just sold their agency, but I worked there for 10 years and would never write a policy with minimums. If they wanted one, we'd refer them to the insurer's website. We didn't want any of that liability to fall on us.

@resjudicata I hope you also looked at your bodily injury coverage. As a former insurance agent I carry 300k bi limits in case I injure someone else. It’s very easy to even reach 300k with a back injury now days

@buckyboy in Louisiana it's so bad, the insurance companies just give up and pay policy limits to anybody. bump into someone at 1mph and put a tiny dent in the fender, policy limits. It's why insurance is insanely expensive in the state.

@lynsdeyblack12 I'm a ride-share driver in New Orleans and I get hit about every year and a half. I can assure you they do not simply pay out the policy limit for every fender bender. 🙄 Insurance is expensive in this state because 1. A lot of people don't carry insurance and 2. We have a lot of crooked lawyers who inflate claim amounts.

Insurance companies in this state are not making much profit and they're not just paying out policy maximums to avoid lawsuits. The lawyers may be crooked but a lot of the judges are getting annoyed and not ruling for these large payouts.

@ebg I’m sure there’s a reason I was asked if I had any more coverage beyond what the other party knew about, and that was to see if they could go after more. I don’t know if I can get the results for you, though.