Liberty Mutual E-Service Privileges Revoked for 8 Months Now

jjwampler

I have Liberty Mutual car insurance. Due to an error on their end, which they have agreed was an error on their end, I have been locked out of my account for 8 months.

Switched to them in May 2023 and set my account up for autopay every 6 months. Agreed to use their RightTrack driver monitoring program for 3 months, after which my final policy price would be determined and I’d pay the full years payments in November 2023. So first payment would be auto deducted in Nov for the full year, then every 6 months after that. I completed the 3 month monitoring and got a perfect score (side note anger this whole thing is a scam) which reduced my annual payment by like $21 or something. Woohoo I guess.

Then I got a notice in August 2023 that my account was more than two months overdue, that I owed $789 due June 18th 2023, and that my coverage would be cancelled on September 19th if I didn't pay it.

No big deal, I’ll log in to my account and pay what I owe, then make sure it is set to auto pay going forward. But wait…what's that? I can’t log into the website? Every time I try it just loads briefly then changes to “you have successfully logged out”. Different browsers, incognito mode, cookies enabled, nothing worked. Ok I’ll try the app. Wait what that won’t let me log in either. Odd, must be technical issues, right? Guess I have to call them.

I call and wait on hold for over 30 minutes. Finally get a representative and to her credit she was very kind and helpful. She finds that my account was taken off of autopay on August 13th, right after the 3 month monitoring program ended, and the payment schedule reverted to owing the first 6 months in June. Whatever I’m sure it was an error of some sort. So I pay what was owed in June and reset the account for autopay.

Then I ask about the website login issue and hoo boy I almost lost my mind on this super nice and helpful person.

She explained that my E-service privileges were revoked when the account became overdue and would not be restored until my policy is up for renewal next May. There is no escalation possible, no review system, no exceptions. So I got a notice to pay them, but literally couldn’t do it in any of the convenient ways and had to call and waste 45 minutes of my day. And now I can’t use the app to access my insurance documents, file any claims, make any changes or payments, etc. Totally locked out of the online portals for an entire year.

It started when autopay was removed from my account for no reason, confirmed by the company that it had been set up properly and then was removed without any reason or notice given. I was told that "my E-service privileges were revoked when the account became overdue and would not be restored until my policy is up for renewal next May". That was later changed to a "6 month lock out".

Meanwhile they will still send you emails that say "log in now to review your renewal documents" or "log in now to confirm your autopay details" or "log in now to view your policy". But logging in is not an option because that's just they way it is at Liberty Mutual. And the "6 month lock out" is now going on 8 months and still nothing can be done to get me access until some magical account fairy reviews my request and decides to grant me access to THE ACCOUNT THAT I AM PAYING TO HAVE.

My policy is up for renewal next month. Obviously I'd like to shop for a different insurer because this is by far the most insane and frustrating customer experience I have ever had. But I can't even comparison shop because I don't know what my renewal policy offer is. Has anybody else experienced such a ridiculous thing with Liberty Mutual? And what other companies should I look for to take my business to?

I have a clean driving record and pay my bills early (except when the company decides to make that not possible like what happened here) fwiw.

@jjwampler Just call an independent insurance agent and let them shop around for you. Don’t worry about the renewal amount, because personally I wouldn’t stay with Liberty anyway if I had your experience.

@yhjmkiop Thanks, I will definitely do that. I have close to zero interest in giving Liberty Mutual any more of my business. Still would like to have access to my account/policy though to make sure I'm getting comparable coverage elsewhere, and to make sure I can remove my bank autopay info from them.

@jjwampler Yeah that’s kinda dumb. I would just approach it like buying insurance for the first time again. Ask the agent questions about coverage recommendations and such, and also have them start the new coverage asap.

Then once that coverage is secured you can just call Liberty to have your policy with them cancelled for good. Not even worry about the autopay for the renewal accidentally going through.