@carlv_52 So you agree that it would not be wise to take this offer?

I don’t really get it though. Why reject my student loan? This is without even getting my last academic results, my registration confirmation etc? The consultant couldn’t give me an explanation.

@delistuff Absolutely don't take this offer. They said no to a student loan so shop around at different institutions for a student loan. Get a sensible structure and don't go this route.

@delistuff Compared to globally, South Africa views its people as incredibly risky to loan to. So unlike the rest of the world, our personal loan rates are about as bad as credit card rates. Some banks offer better interest rates on cards if the bank account type (usually income) is high enough. Another thing to note is these loan rates can usually be negotiated, quite significantly. I have gotten mine improved by 6% before, for example. In summary, loans in sa suck. Savings is really a better long term option. But if you must - cc is just about as good, but will have higher monthly payment than a loan.

@delistuff What are you using the money for ? If it’s to study please be sure that as soon as you graduate the benefits of the course will reflect in your salary for example writing a board exam or formal certification. If this course will not result in immediate benefits I would suggest saving up to study or getting funding from a bursary. But getting a loan to study without properly evaluating the benefits vs the cost would be unwise.

@samiradedas Problem is I wanted the 60K once off to pay my fees and the only credit card offer I have pre-approved has a 60somethingK limit.

But I’ll look into that if things don’t work out with Standard Bank.