If I’m leaving the country a few months and want to let my adult daughter borrow my car how can I legally protect my car?

shawpedro5

Hi my daughter is saving up for a car. She has a baby and I feel bad because I’m leaving the country for 4 months n would be great to let her borrow it. But I feel conflicted because I don’t 100% trust she won’t get into an accident and also my insurance is thru a state 8 hours from her. If I got her to switch the car into her name and got insurance on it, and crashes or wtv, but is full liability coverage….is this a crazy risk? I need my car for work when I get back. And would have to what? Go back to my home state (I travel for work) to get my car back in my name?
Is switching it back n forth expensive? Thanks in advance I have a headache trying to google it all,

@shawpedro5 I borrowed my sister’s car for a while bec my car was totaled. I called my insurance agent and asked if i could get comprehensive coverage for the borrowed car and he told me since the car has an insurance policy under the owner’s name, the owner’s policy will cover the car even if I’m driving it.
There is also a non-owner insurance that your daughter can get which is cheaper than the standard car insurance policy but it is not comprehensive coverage.

@elyalan You usually can't get non owner policy if you are driving or have access to a car on a regular basis like this. And comprehensive wouldn't cover the car in the event that she crashes the car anyway. That would fall under collision coverage, not comprehensive.

@shawpedro5 If you switch the car solely into her name and she then insures it, it would be HER car and HER liability, not yours. You would have no more concern of liability if she hits someone than you would if I crashed my car into someone because neither car belongs to you. Just because she's a relative doesn't put you at risk.