I tracked my finances and now save £10,000 a year as a result

thetwoh

Around a year ago I walked out in my family due to a toxic situation. I'm only 23 so living independently, understanding bills, and supporting myself was all new to me.

Thankfully I worked very hard with multiple jobs prior to leaving home so my income was around £25,000 after tax. However, I had zero experience of bills; with rent, broadband, electricity, and my water costing around £700 a month, this was a huge wake-up call.

I decided to start tracking my money. Every single penny. I categorised my spending on a spreadsheet into travel (subcats: bus, train, Uber/taxi), food (subcats: coffee, shop, eating out), ongoings (subcats: required [bills etc], fun [subscriptions]), and other, for one time purchases.

On top of the above, I realised that I was spending around £400 per month on food shops and eating out, around £180 on travel (mainly Uber+trains), and on average around £400 per.month on one time purchases such as clothes, books etc.

After tracking my finances on a spreadsheet, I feel an unrivalled satisfaction when I get through a day without having to plot spending there. Each month feels like a clean slate and I've found myself thinking about my spreadsheet when contemplating a 'guilty pleasure' spend.

TRAVEL
I stopped getting Ubers and bought a Railcard which saves around 30% on train tickets. With this I limited my spending to around £20 a week or £80 a month.

FOOD
I got a nectar card as Sainsbury's is closest to me and decided to limit myself to one shop per week. I didn't set a strict limit but I aimed to spend around £50 per week so £200 a month on my shopping. I bought a good quality flask and do not buy coffee when in out- this saved me around £40 per month. I stopped getting takeaways which saved me a massive £70 per month.

OUTGOINGS
My required spending such as bills couldn't really shift much as I have good deals having shopped around. I limited my subscriptions and found that upon cancellation I'd actually get significant discounts. For example, I paid £33.99 a month for Now TV sports package and upon cancellation I got an offer of £20 for six months- after cancelling this I got the same deal again. Overall I saved around £55 a month just through 'false cancellation'.

OTHER
As mentioned above, the satisfaction I get through not spending now has effected my habits. I still treat myself to the odd book or film etc but I've dropped this significantlh to around £100. This includes buying the odd shirt/jumper and general Amazon junk that I find interesting admittedly!

On the whole, my outgoings in total were around £1700 per month meaning I'd have around £300 per month left. Now I track and manage my finances, my outgoings are around £1100 per month and so I have roughly £900 per month to save. £10,000 a year!

It's not just the savings but also the mentality of minimizing spend and maximising income- I'm now looking for ways to save which I probably would have sneered at when I was younger. I'm no finance expert and have a lot to learn regarding investments etc but I thought this was super beneficial and I would advise everyone on doing the same!

@thetwoh This is really good and you're probably well ahead of your peers. Only note of caution I would offer; life is for enjoying and especially in your twenties, you'll have opportunities to do that will be much harder to achieve when your older i.e long term traveling. Once you've a mortgage and family, much beyond a fortnight is decadent and 4+week long holiday is all but impossible.

By all means keep away from the pointless consumerism, make sure you live well below your means and put money away into savings & investments each month but ensure you allow yourself to spend on things that bring joy to your life.

Otherwise, really good job! Well done

@resjudicata 100% believe in what you're saying. I think at the moment- being single, living alone, and only focussing on myself, my work, and my hobbies- I'm viewing this as my 'selfish' phase. I'm hoping what I do now can have a positive impact on my future and my family if that materialises :)

@thetwoh At the same time, financial security is amazing for your mental health. Knowing you can leave your job with 9, 12 months of no work is the best. It means you don't feel imprisoned day-to-day.

It also means you can randomly spend on holidays, travel, items, etc. because you've already saved.

I wouldn't worry about OPs message too much. You can't enjoy unless you have financial backing. And to get that, you first need to save!

I did what you did my entire working life until 26. I took 6 months off to travel and only spent 30% of my savings. I could also take on bigger risks like relocating to a new country on the other side of the world without damaging my career.

6 years on from that, 33 countries later and I still don't need to work for 5-10 years just because of my spending habits. I didn't win the lottery. I just watched my spending, saved as much as I could while maximising my earnings. You can save while enjoying life. Life isn't just about buying commodities and falling for consumerism. Little sacrifices like not buying that new game, or cooking at home, choosing a cheaper place to live and buying older phone models outright saved me tons of money.