Can you help a family feeling the 'squeeze'..

@blitz659 About the surge in bills due to covid - if you work from home or have done so you can claim tax relief for 2020 and 2021. Just Google 'UK working from home tax back' or something similar and gov website leads you through it.

I got quite a bit back, much more than I was expecting!

@curlysouffle If you have a local citizens advice bureau I would contact them. They can signpost you to the local money advice people that will a) make sure you’re not missing out on any benefits, b) help with budgeting if that’s what you’re after, and c) help to consolidate debt or make smaller payments.

@resjudicata I can't fathom why you've been down voted for this reply. It's an extremely sensible reply, as are the others. That's what CAB are there to do and the added bonus is they're free

@olddrummerdude I worked for years in a role that supported families. We made referrals to money advice and disused it at every family contact. Even accountants were sometimes missing out on child benefits.

@curlysouffle you can get the food bill down though it will probably go up again when the kids hit their teenage years.

Eliminate crisps, cakes, biscuits, sugary and diet drinks (ie drink tap water) . I get that sometimes you just cba to cook. You can make and freeze your own "ready" meals.

A rice cooker is foolproof and makes rice in 20 minutes

Some veg freezes really well. Apart from the usual suspects, kale freezes well.

Make you own lunches for work.

@curlysouffle Compare energy, broadband, mobiles, insurance when they are all due for a renewal

Use Quidco to get cash back on big purchases like the above

Buy second hand

Haggle costs for things like sky or cancel

Check if you’re entitled to benefits if you haven’t already checked - I did and it was surprised I was when we had big nursery bills

@curlysouffle Do up a budget for the past few months and see where your money goes. There are apps that categorize your spending if your bank's mobile apps are crap, and it can help get a picture of where your money goes. https://www.moneydashboard.c as an example.

Utilities and food are obvious ones, but you may be missing something.

@curlysouffle Most people seem to have covered the bills aspect. However I’d like you to suggest looking at your job. Is there scope to move a different role/company and get a pay rise that way. I’m not sure what roles you have in NHS/Private health to know how possible this is. Most people get the bulk of their wage increase by changing job/role over waiting for a pay rise

@lit But if he can progress with NHS, he will have very good pension that would make up for it.

If he can get personal development there I suggest him stay with the NHS.

@cmont Absolutely. I don’t have personal experience of the NHS systems for jobs so can’t comment specifically. Changing role doesn’t have to mean changing job/employer.

@curlysouffle Your food bill sounds quite high. I've moved back in with my parents temporarily so we are a four adult household, but our food bill is about £100 a week.

@curlysouffle Food seems expensive man, you can literally get two XL pizza a day (Lunch and Dinner) for £20 which is £140 a week - so I suppose you should try and get under the £120. We’ve done £50 a week for family of 4. It can be done.

@curlysouffle There's a rise in energy costs starting from October I think it was. The only way to lower gas and electricity is by using a meter. We rented a property that had a meter and we paid £50 per month for both. I would say £100 is fairly cheap. We currently pay £170 per month (we barely use any gas). But we both work from home and there's 5 of us and we have 3 reptiles so that doesn't help. A fixed energy contract does not mean they cannot change or increase your direct debit it just means they won't increase the kw/h cost over that fixed term. So around winter time it will most likely increase. Because gas and electricity is considered a necessity if you are struggling to pay just call them up and have a chat with someone. Don't be afraid to ask for help, often if you get a nice person they will reduce your payments for you.

Water meters are also way way cheaper too.

To reduce other bills your phone company can half your bill if you're struggling for money. They'll only do it for a short period of time 3-6 months but that can help greatly.

Finally regarding food shopping I buy online. My budget is £180 per week but that includes nappies, general household cleaning stuff as well as snacks and food. I usually spend about £140 to feed a family of 5 (and a tortoise and bearded dragon who need fresh greens). I have 2 young children and 1 teenager. I cook everything fresh and have 2 deliveries a week. Generally buying online I find you buy less rubbish. Also if you go over your budget I say to myself do I really need that and if I don't then I remove it. I also save lists and rotate a 12 week meal plan list which helps me budget. Some people hate online shopping but I love it and would spend double in the shop. Every time you go it's £40 even if you're just buying a few things.
It takes a bit of getting used to but would highly recommend it and also a delivery pass because they're worth paying for.

Hope that helps